LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect to usb device without making own visa driver

I have a device from Anritsu connect to the computer through a USB or ethernet cable.  It came with a USB driver, so that with their software I can connect to it just fine.  Now I want to connect to it with labview but the device doesn't show up in the list of resource names (not usb or ethernet).  Can I have labview control the device without having to create a driver with the VISA Driver Development program?  I have been trying the visa development tutorial but the hardware wizard never gives me a chance to select the correct INF file.  I'd rather not deal with that if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance for any help 🙂

--Steve
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,079 Views)
If the instrument is a USBTMC type, then there should be no need to create your own VISA driver. If it's not, then you would have to either do that and use USB RAW and get some pretty detailed information from the vendor, or if Anritsu provides a dll, use the Call Library Function Node. What is the model of the instrument and what does Anritsu say about the USB interface?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,069 Views)
The product is the MS2036A Vector/Network Analyzer and I'm almost certain that it is USBTCM. But still, it won't pop up in the measurement and automation explorer.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,061 Views)
What's a little strange to me is that the programming manual only mentions the ethernet as the interface. The driver for the MS2026 also lists just the Ethernet. I would confirm from Anritsu that it is in fact USBTMC. You might also want to look at the .inf file that comes with the instrument to see what it has to say. An .inf file is just a text file that can be read with Notepad.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,051 Views)
I just talked to a guy from Anritsu.  It was just a matter of creating a new VISA TCP/IP Resource defined as a VXI-11 LAN Instrument.  And you were right, even though there's also a USB connection, controls can only be sent through the ethernet link.  Thanks for your help 🙂 and have a nice day.

--Steve
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,039 Views)