From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect to RT system behind firewall

Bob - you do not know what you are talking about here. What this screenshot shows is port forwarding from a router - which should have a valid, globally-routable address - to a specific machine (192.168.0.73, which I assume is the RT target) within the private network. You configure (in MAX) the IP address of the RT target as the IP address of the router. The router then passes all traffic on the specified ports to the designated machine.

Matt - in addition to the ports opened, this forum post says you should open port 44515 and 44516 as well. See if that helps? If not, can you also post a screenshot showing how the networking is configured on the RT target (take a screenshot from within MAX)?

Message 11 of 15
(1,062 Views)

Nathan,

You may well be right.  I was perhaps getting my situations a little confused (and confusing routers and switches).  It will be Interesting and Instructive if Matt gets this to work -- I, for one, would be very interested in knowing the exact configuration of PC, router, RT system, and router settings that make this work.

Matt, please forgive my ignorance.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(1,058 Views)

Thanks, Bob.  This stuff is a little confusing.

So, Nathan, I decided to just forgo port forwarding and put the box on the DMZ.  Works like a charm!  Should have just done that from the beginning.

I read an article that seems to indicate that when debugging in the LV environment, LV will just look for an open port - and it didn't specify what port.  This seems a little confounding and would make it difficult to try to communicate with the chassis remotely.

Cheers, Matt

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(1,048 Views)

mtat76 wrote:

I read an article that seems to indicate that when debugging in the LV environment, LV will just look for an open port - and it didn't specify what port.  This seems a little confounding and would make it difficult to try to communicate with the chassis remotely.

If you're referring to this article: What is the Port Number Assigned for Remote Debugging in LabVIEW? that applies only to compiled applications (including RT applications if I'm not mistaken), but does not apply within the LabVIEW development environment.

Message 14 of 15
(1,038 Views)

That's the one.  I looked at it just briefly.

Ultimately, the DMZ is likely the safest place for the chassis to be as I am not poking holes in my firewall.

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(1,034 Views)