From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connec to USB instrument - extra software needed or only NI VISA?

Hello,

if i connect a gpib instrument to my computer to send SCPI then i use NI VISA and NI 488.2.

What do i have to use/install if i want to use USB instead of GPIB?

Thx

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,117 Views)

Hi One,

when the device implements a simple VCP (virtual COM port) you still only need VISA…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 4
(1,078 Views)

It totally depends on the type of USB device. If it is a NI DAQ device, VISA won’t help you but you need to install NI-DAQmx instead.

If it is a device supporting the serial port interface VCP as Gerd mentioned, you simply access it as such (ASRL) and don’t need anything else besides NI-VISA. If it is a TMC (Test & Measurement Class) device (for instance most Rigol and Agilent/Keysight devices with USB connection) the same applies as NI-VISA comes with support for that too.

Any other USB device is however not supported by NI-VISA. Sure you could access it as USB Raw device but that is not practical since Windows 7 because of security restrictions that require signed drivers and also the difficulty of having to develop your USB class specific USB protocol on top of NI-VISA.

For such devices you should resort to the drivers provided by the respective manufacturer and interface to their .Net or DLL interface.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 3 of 4
(1,045 Views)

Meanwhile its working. The connected USB is like a LAN conection which has an additional IP and i can connect using Socket USB to this USB-IP adress.

So my connect string is TCPIP0::xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx::5025::SOCKET.

In the beginning i thought i had to use a connect string which contains the serialnumber of the instrument...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,039 Views)