From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about and IVI versus plug and play instrument drivers

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm just getting in to LabVIEW and see that when I go to download instrument drivers, there are several listings.  One is Plug and Play and the other is typically IVI.  What is the difference?  So far I've been through the Lesson #1 and Lesson #2 Basic Developer courses, but we haven't touched on the use of downloaded drivers.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,396 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author djpritchard

IVI: Interchangeable Virtual Instrument. Using this software layer enables the developer to work with a "generic instrument" independend of the manufacturer (e.g. Agilent DMM vx. NI DMM).

Plug'n'Play driver: The driver for the very instance of an instrument, needed for the OS to identify and drive the instrument. The driver is device specific.

hope this helps,

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,391 Views)
You can also read Types of Instrument Drivers, though Norbert pretty much summed up the highlights.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,387 Views)