Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring k-type thermocuple with NI 9214 module coupled with NI 9149 chassis

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear All,

Greetings!

I am a beginner of Labview and for my project goal, I need to monitor and log real time information of temperature of grains, air, and desiccants. To do this, I bought NI 9149 chassis and NI 9214 and TB 9214 modules. However I am facing problem while configuring NI 9214. I cannot see any option for selecting thermocouple type and measurement temperature unit for each channel (pls see the attached image).  I went through the materials (getting started with NI 9214 from C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2018\examples\CompactRIO\Module Specific\NI 9214) as suggested by NI forums. However since I am using NI 9149 Ethernet RIO chassis not the compact RIO so I am getting error while running my host VI. The FPGA vi is working fine for measuring TC and CJC output but the host VI is showing errors e.g missing conversion vi (pls see the attached vi’s). I have atatched my FPGA and PC vi fyi.

Hence could anyone please let me know how can I include the necessary sub vi’s for converting NI 9214 data function into my pc vi and whats is the best way to configure my thermocouple (k-type) with NI 9214 to acquire the temperature data at desired unit. Your time and help would be very much appreciated in this regard.

Thanks and regards,

Momin

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,389 Views)

Hello Jeremiah,

Greetings! I am a beginner of Labview and for my project I need to collect real time temperature of grains, air, and desiccants. In this connection we bought NI 9149 chassis and NI 9214 and TB 9214 modules. While going to configuration of the 9214 modules I did not see any option about thermocouple type and measurement temperatures. I went through the materials (getting started with NI 9214 from C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2018\examples\CompactRIO\Module Specific\NI 9214) per you suggested. However since I am using NI 9149 which is basically an ethernet RIO chassis not the compact RIO so I am getting error while running my host VI. The FPGA vi is working fine but the host VI is showing errors. I also checked the block diagram of the NI 9214 convert to temperature (Calibrated) function but I cannot able to open the embedded cRIO convert thermocouple reading. vi and getting error. Hence could you please let me know how can I configure my thermocouple (k-type) with NI 9214 to acquire the temperature data.

Thanking you and looking forward to hear you.

Regards,

Momin

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,409 Views)

Hi Sumon_Davis,

Since this is an older post, I would recommend starting a new thread for your question. When you do, you can add more information about the errors you're getting, and other forum users will be able to better assist you.

Melanie P.
Technical Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,399 Views)

Hi Melanie,

Thank you for your reply and your suggestion. I will do it asap. 

Regards,

Momin

University of California Davis

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,388 Views)

Hi Momin,

Can you attach screenshots of the errors you're getting?

Melanie P.
Technical Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,342 Views)

Hi Melanie,

Thank you for your reply. Let me share you every steps I followed with updated vi's. My FPGA vi working fine but when I tried to open the PC vi it was asking, to select a file and I selected calibrated conversion vi (pls see the images of PC_vi_1 to 4). Then I was able to open PC vi but getting errors as attached. I also attached the final window of project explorer and the updated vi's fyi. I think I am missing something to reach out there. I will very much appreciate your time and help. Sorry for lot of attachments. 

Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards,

Momin

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,333 Views)

Hi Melanie,

You know fortunately I found this doc in the shared folder of the National Instrument and I did the same and was able to solve the issue by dragging all supporting VIs into my system. But you know while saving it creates a long file path C:\Users\Desktop\Momin_LV_2\examples\CompactRIO\Module Specific\NI 9214\NI 9214 Getting Started  However its working fine except I need to change the thermocouple type (from J to K) every time I run the VI. I am not sure I am doing right or not, but I believe you may figure out a robust way to solve the issue.

Thanking you again.

Momin

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,279 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sumon_Davis

Hi Momin,

However its working fine except I need to change the thermocouple type (from J to K) every time I run the VI.

1. Replace the control by a constant when you use TypeK all the time…
  2. Set a new default value for that control…

But you know while saving it creates a long file path…

I usually place all my LabVIEW projects in a folder like D:\Data\LV_2018\project.

No need to add 4 or 5 more levels of folders!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,276 Views)

Hello GerdW,

Thank you for your suggestions. I set the k type as new default value and it is working now. 

Regards,

Momin

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,224 Views)