LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Config file "byte order mark"

I wanted to put this out in this forum as a warning for future searching. I was ripping my hair out for awhile on this one.

Attached are two files that I finally boiled my debug down to. What's the difference? The broken one has the BOM (byte order mark) included in the UTF-8 format. This is essentially a header to a text file. EVERY text editor just skips over the bytes, so I had to find this with a hex reader. What this did is render first section "unfindable" to key reading.

The conversion somehow happened while using Notepad++ to edit my INI files (somehow... still not sure). Fixing it is as simple as selecting "Encoding", "Encode in UTF-8 without BOM". Funny enough, another way to fix it is to just add a blank or header line to the top of the file. 

Now that I'm past the warning, I wanted to get a general sense if this is well-known. (debating on adding an Idea Exchange to either error if the wrong BOM for native, or skip if correct).

Josh
Software is never really finished, it's just an acceptable level of broken
Download All
Message 1 of 4
(4,000 Views)

Thanks JW-JnJ, 

I will work on it to see which is the better solution. 

Best regards. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,914 Views)

I had the same issue after editing a .ini-file with notepad on a Windows10 system and LabVIEW 2014/2017.

best regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,964 Views)

Never seen it with an ini file before, but I have seen the BOM break other file parsers.

If a parser can't deal with those unexpected* bytes at the start, you're going to have a bad time.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,961 Views)