From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer related problem

I have a general question about computers. I am using Labview to control how a reactor opens and closes valves to deposit gaseous materials on a surface. The labview program runs fine in the first few minutes (first 20) but as I repeat the number of deposition cycles, the whole program freezes and I always have to restart the computer. I think this is a computer related problem not Labview's fault. Any ideas on how I can fix that? Thanks a lot.

Sicelo

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,114 Views)

Use the Windows Task manager to monitor the CPU and memory usage while you code runs.

What you should loof for is;

Is memory usage increasing?

Is CPU usage increasing?

After you know what is happening post your code and what you found to get more hints.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,113 Views)

After you do as Ben suggests.  look through your code for:

• Resources initialized repeatedly (DAQ tasks should be created ONCE, instruments Initialized ONCE...)
  • References you opened and did not close (Some you don't need to worry about but some you do!)  Ben will probably post a link but a forum search would find a few points. (Check Ben's Tag cloudSmiley Wink)
  • data structures (Arrays or Strings) that keep growing and growing demanding larger and larger buffers eating up huge chunks in memory

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,106 Views)

The program is currently running. I closed off everything else on the computer.

CPU usage:10-14%

Memory usage: 1.13 GB

Both of these are not increasing but I know that after 20 minutes the program freezes anf does not respond anymore.

Thanks.

-Sicelo

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,100 Views)

@Sicelo wrote:

The program is currently running. I closed off everything else on the computer.

CPU usage:10-14%

Memory usage: 1.13 GB

Both of these are not increasing but I know that after 20 minutes the program freezes anf does not respond anymore.

Thanks.

-Sicelo

Check it again after 19 minute 30 seconds.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,094 Views)

then its probably unnecessary re-creation of DAQ Tasks or re-itnitialization of instruments

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,093 Views)