LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compiling

I am running LabVIEW 8.6.1.  When I compile the program, I can generate a list of dependencies showing all of the sub-VIs in my program.  Great.

Is there any way to export that list to a Word doc or an Excel file so that I can include it in a manual that I am sending to my client as part of the source code?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,238 Views)

Yes. (Edit: I wrote this using 2017. Reading back after posting, I don't know that this functionality (all, some, none) is available in 8.6.1...)

You can get a (programmatic) list of Dependencies using VI Scripting:

dependencyScan.png

Here I'm outputting a cluster containing the Name and Type of the item. Be aware that this won't expand items (folders, libraries etc) so you can check the type and then use a case structure to handle it in a shared-clone reentrant subVI.

You can also get "All VIs in Memory", but this won't list other parts of your dependencies that are loaded indirectly (I think). So you have to be careful - this might do what you want but only if you're actually using all of your dependencies in your project (again, I think).

Once you have a list you're happy with, you can use the Report Generation Toolkit to create a Word or Excel file.

GCentral
Message 2 of 6
(2,208 Views)

@cbutcher wrote:

Once you have a list you're happy with, you can use the Report Generation Toolkit to create a Word or Excel file.

Or simply save to a text file, and open it in word\excel. If you call it .csv, IIRC Excel is associated with it. RGT is a huge dependency to add...

Message 3 of 6
(2,189 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@cbutcher wrote:

Or simply save to a text file, and open it in word\excel. If you call it .csv, IIRC Excel is associated with it. RGT is a huge dependency to add...

Definitely my preference too if there's no specific need for a "real" Word or Excel file. 

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,163 Views)

Thanks very much.  I will see if I can do this in 8.6.1

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,150 Views)

@cbutcher wrote:

Yes. (Edit: I wrote this using 2017. Reading back after posting, I don't know that this functionality (all, some, none) is available in 8.6.1...)

You can get a (programmatic) list of Dependencies using VI Scripting:

dependencyScan.png

Here I'm outputting a cluster containing the Name and Type of the item. Be aware that this won't expand items (folders, libraries etc) so you can check the type and then use a case structure to handle it in a shared-clone reentrant subVI.

You can also get "All VIs in Memory", but this won't list other parts of your dependencies that are loaded indirectly (I think). So you have to be careful - this might do what you want but only if you're actually using all of your dependencies in your project (again, I think).

I believe that scripting was implemented but it was not exposed in LV 8.6

The rest of should work.

Alternatively a "Source Distribution >>> Preserve Hiarchy" to a clean folder and then listing the folder contents can get you there.

Ben  

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,143 Views)