From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatibility of throughput of NI cDAQ 9181 with laptop/desktop

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear members

I am completely new to this domain. Therefore, kindly help me in choosing my proper DAQ devices.

I want to buy the NI cDAQ 9181 with an ethernet port and NI 9222 C series voltage input module. I am planning to use 2 channels from NI 9222 with a sampling rate of 400 kHz/ch/s.

So, will the throughput of NI cDAQ 9181 be 400kHz/ch/s * 2 ch * 8 Bytes/s = 6.4 MB/s ? If the calculation is correct, can a normal laptop/desktop with a GBE-based ethernet port and common hard disk be used for acquiring the data continuously for 3-4 minutes?

Kindly help.

Regards

Manas Ranjan Pattnayak

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(929 Views)

Hi Manas,

@ManasRanjanPattnayak wrote:

I want to buy the NI cDAQ 9181 with an ethernet port and NI 9222 C series voltage input module. I am planning to use 2 channels from NI 9222 with a sampling rate of 400 kHz/ch/s.

The cDAQ9181 only offers a 100Mbps Ethernet port as written in its datasheet!

The NI9222 offers 500kS/s/ch in CompactDAQ devices as written in the datasheet.

So your cDAQ only offers upto ~10MB/s data transfer speed, while you request 400kS/s * 2ch * 2bytes/sample = 1.6MB/s (the module offers 16bit ADCs!). I guess the Ethernet port is fast enough for your requirement…

(I would probably put the cDAQ9181 on its own dedicated LAN port on your computer to minimize influences/disturbances from network handling.)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(900 Views)

Dear member

Thank you so much for your kind reply. I want a clarification on a similar post in NI forum.

Link to the post: https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/How-to-estimate-data-acquisition-storage-requirements/td-p/3079210

In this case, the ADC resolution is 24 bit; but in the calculation of the throughput, it is mentioned as 8 bytes/sample. Why is it so?

Considering the above post, why in my case it will be 2 bytes/sample?

Kindly look into this, and clarify.

Sincerely

Manas Ranjan Pattnayak

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(877 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ManasRanjanPattnayak

Hi Manas,

In this case, the ADC resolution is 24 bit; but in the calculation of the throughput, it is mentioned as 8 bytes/sample. Why is it so?

Because in that post the amount of data is calculated for saving in a (TDMS) file, which stores data using 8 bytes/sample (aka DBL datatype)!

Considering the above post, why in my case it will be 2 bytes/sample?

Because DAQmx will transfer raw data (I guess), which should be just 2 bytes/sample for a 16bit ADC.

(For bigger ADCs, like 18-24bit, most  probably 4 bytes/sample are transferred…)

I'm not an expert in these specific DAQmx internals (you might call NI tech support): when you need a "worst case" calculation you might assume 8 bytes/sample. But I guess DAQmx is optimized for data transfer using also slower busses (100Mbps Ethernet, 480Mbps USB2.0) and so will only transfer the minimum amount of data.

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(871 Views)

Dear member

Thank you so much for your reply. You are correct. The raw data will be saved as 2 bytes/sample and TDMS will be saved as 8 bytes/sample.

So, if I am saving as raw data, the throughput will be 400000*2*2 = 1.6 MB/s and in TDMS format, this will be 400000*2*8 = 6.4 MB/s.

Considering the communication rate of NI cDAQ 9181 to be 10 MB/s, I am guessing, the above throughputs will be sufficient for my application.

Sincerely

Manas Ranjan Pattnayak

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(839 Views)