Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compass Plot, resultant vector

Dear All,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,692 Views)

I have been working on compass plot VI.

I want to take some of two vectors. However i also want to represent the two vectors in such a way that the RED vector should start from the tip of the Black vector.

attached is the example.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,691 Views)

Hello Jackferz,

Thank you for bringing this issue to the forums. Unfortuantly, you cannot sum vectors the way you requested on the Compass Plot. However, I found you an alternative which will take a bit more work on your part. You will have to convert your polar coordinate vectors to the cartesian plane and then plot them on an XY Graph. You will also have to compute the sum and then add that to the same XY Graph. I have attached an example VI that you can refer too.

Thank you,

Vimal Fernandez

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,657 Views)

Vimal,

Thanks for the reply,
Unfortunately i am not been able to open the VI. I assume its been created on LV 2011, which is a newer version than what i am using LV2010.

Can you please save the VI in a lower version.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,647 Views)

Hi Jackferz, 

Sorry about that. Here you go, it will open in LabVIEW 2010.

Thank you,

Vimal Fernandez

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(3,641 Views)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,623 Views)

I am trying to have uniformly rotating Vector in a 360deg pattern which may or may not be achieved with XY graph.

Is there any way that in compass plot, the origin of the Vector is anything OTHER THAN Zero. If thats possible i could have my way through.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(3,618 Views)

Hello Jackferz,

I have tried to change the origin of a vector to a non-zero value, unfortunately it is not possible. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Vimal Fernandez

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(3,607 Views)

It is more complicated, but perhaps you can get the display you want with a picture control.  Check Ben's posts on the topic.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,604 Views)

Hi

i think i am quite close to what i need. I am using XY graph to plot a resultant vector by converting polar to rectangular and then plotting the resultant in a 360 rotation.

I have also tried to plot another vector with the origin other than zero. Its quite what i wanted.

But my problem is that i want to plot the second vetor from the tip of 1st vector.

E.g. to plot 2nd vector, 120deg and it should start at the tip of the rotating vector. That means if i change the position of the knob, the first vector is going to rotate in 360deg pattern but the second vector should stay 120 degrees but at the tip of the first.

however, thanks for the suggestions.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(3,557 Views)