LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Nugget 1/29/2007

Solved!
Go to solution

Well, I'm just coming back from a major surgery and am still revalidating when I saw this nice discussion that I seemed to have missed completely 😉

I hope you everything went well with the surgery. Take it easy and try to get better. Smiley Happy

Tomi
--
Tomi Maila
Message 51 of 66
(5,293 Views)

@Tomi M wrote:

I hope you everything went well with the surgery. Take it easy and try to get better. Smiley Happy

Tomi

Thanks a lot, Tomi! Can't complain at all.

Considering that the surgery was last Monday and I can already sit for longer amounts of time without really feeling any pain anymore seems to look like a very good sign. Yes I'm getting tired fast and moving is still not so comfortable but that has to wear off over time.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Message Edited by rolfk on 02-06-2007 11:56 AM

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 52 of 66
(5,266 Views)

Rolf wrote:

"

Well, I'm just coming back from a major surgery and am still revalidating when I saw this nice discussion that I seemed to have missed completely 😉

Yes the executable (LabVIEW runtime engine DLL) under Windows provides this C API too. However it does not export all functions the Development System does since some of it simply doesn't exist in the runtime environment.

And before someone wants to know about how I came to know all these things. Mostly it is about lots and lots of trial and error and a few friendly tips of some NI guys. The particular prototypes for the Occurrence API I actually found in the original extcode.h file that was distributed with LabVIEW 2.5. This was a several 100k header file that showed (documented would be a bit of an overstatement) the prototypes of all exported LabVIEW manager functions at that time. Most of them seem still available in LabVIEW and probably haven't changed to much but no guarantee for this of course. With LabVIEW 3.0 NI decided to document the manager API partially in the External Code Reference Manual and remove all references to functions not in that manual from extcode.h.

This first extcode.h file also shows some signs of an interface that allowed creation of C style custom controls and the device driver interface that serpdrv was using in a similar way to CINs. This C style custom control interface seemed to have been removed in LabVIEW 4 without any replacement probably since the static method table of those objects gave to much trouble to be kept compatible among different LabVIEW versions.

Rolf Kalbermatter

"

Thank you Rolf!

You were here in spirit thanks to Jim. Your additional comments show the benefit in being around for a while and poking around under rocks.

I wish you God's speed in your recovery.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 53 of 66
(5,251 Views)
I seen and heard an Orchestrion at Kinloch Castle while on holiday to the Isle of Rum, found someones photos of it on google http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUK259&q=Orchestrion%20kinloch%20&um=1&ie=UTF-8...

If you hear of anyone building a modern Orchestrion, I'd be up for hearing it, as long as it was controlled by LabVIEW, the mechanical one simulating a 40-piece band was amazing, i think you can hear it on youtube.
Message 54 of 66
(4,726 Views)
Thanks for reminding me of this Nugget. My wife purchased a harp at a flea market this week-end. Some stategicly placed solenoids and a DO could make for some week-end fun (after I finish.....)

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 55 of 66
(4,701 Views)
That was a beauty ben.Nice explanation for event based structure.is really useful
Message 56 of 66
(4,702 Views)
serioulsly ben u r great. Apart from the the actual solution your explanation was very helpful.Thanx ben
0 Kudos
Message 57 of 66
(4,672 Views)
Is it for this problem or is it always that u see things in a different prespective ben?Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
Message 58 of 66
(4,668 Views)

Thanks for the kind words.

Re: "different prespective "

Our diversity is the strength of OUR LabVIEW community.

Ben

Message 59 of 66
(4,642 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Ben

@Ben wrote:

An example of Occurrence Based Architecture (OBA) that recently came to mind after I viewed a copy of one of the Animusic videos . In this video a set of synchronized machines work together to produce music. My buddies turned to me and said, “We could build one of those… Couldn’t we?”

Well, apparently you could:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/sweet-apps/blog/2012/02/14/intel-pipe-dream-demo-industrial-co...

One thing I don't like there, though, is that the video is edited, so it's not clear how real this actually is. They also don't explain how they get it to work correctly.