LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communicate with cRIO when IP Address and DNS Name changes over Network Variables

I am developing a LabVIEW software for an European Project using cRIO-9074 and RT Application Reployment to update all cRIO devices with the last version.

To communicate with the cRIO devices I have also developed some applications that are outside cRIO on LabVIEW Project that uses Network Variables to Read/Write to the devices.

When I am developing the software, everything works just fine because the LabVIEW Project knows the IP Address on my cRIO device. However, when I use RTAD to install the software and then my applications outside the LabVIEW Project, the aplications are, not always able to find the device when the IP address changes.

I have tried to replace the IP Address with the DNS Name but no success. When I change the router that is connected to the cRIO, the DNS Name also changes.

With this, my question is how can I solve this sistematic problem? Should I change any configuration on MAX, in LabVIEW Project and/or in the applications to be able to always find the cRIO? Is it possible to have a field on the application to insert the IP Address of the device to connect? If yes, how can I do this?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,529 Views)

Quintino,

You can programatically open connecitons to Shared Variables.  This allows you to decide at runtime the IP address, lib name and SV name you wish to connect to.  I've attached a vi snippet the demonstrats an Action Engine to handle the connection to a SV named "Parameters".

I normally store the cRIO_Settings in a .INI file that is easy to modify. 

Message 2 of 2
(2,525 Views)