LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communicate with OCM632

Hi Guys,

I have a query, is it possible in Labview to communicate with OCM632 device by Orbit Controls AG ocm632

After searching on NI instrument drivers and on internet, i was unable to find any information which could help me about this device.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(2,558 Views)

Hi Ramiz,

@RamizHasan wrote:

is it possible in Labview to communicate with OCM632 device by Orbit Controls AG ocm632

Yes, it's possible.

The device offers RS232 and optionally other communication busses.

(Read the manual to learn about the commands/message formats for remote control! (I would expect SCPI compatibility.)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(2,494 Views)

Hi @GerdW,

Thank you so much for responding, i'll try to read the manual and see what will be the possibility it has to communicate.

Kind Regards,

Ramiz

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,471 Views)

I've followed this manual and tried to connect with LAN, but it's not working for and it's not appearing in VISA resources also. When i follow the steps it gives me an error of connection failed.

https://www.orbitcontrols.ch/images/pdf_img/manual_germany_pdf/2018032736OCM642_DEM%20201803.pdf

Could it be a protocol issue as it's mentioned in manual specifically that it needs Telnet protocol?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,467 Views)

Hi Ramiz,

@RamizHasan wrote:

Could it be a protocol issue as it's mentioned in manual specifically that it needs Telnet protocol?

Depending on what you tried so far: yes.

Did you use/implement the Telnet protocol?

When you want to use VISA functions you should connect to the device using any of the other options (RS232, USB (?) or GPIB)…

Best regards,
GerdW

Message 5 of 11
(2,460 Views)

Hi GerdW,

Thanks again for responding.

I have no idea about the implementation of telnet or how can i access the device using telnet, that's why i've tried your given options but seems like connecting the device with USB also didn't work as i am unable to find the visa resource.

For SCPI commands i have to use VISA resource at least so that i can start sending the commands.

I think i have to look into the implementation of Telnet, how does this work.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,451 Views)

Hi Ramiz,

@RamizHasan wrote:

seems like connecting the device with USB also didn't work as i am unable to find the visa resource.

What kind of USB resource is added upon connection? What device/port pops up in (Windows) DeviceManager? Do you need to install any special drivers for that device?

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,449 Views)

Hi GerdW,

There was a problem with USB connection also, when i connect the USB it shows that driver isn't installed and it wasn't displaying in device manager correctly rather displaying as a some printer device.

So i've installed the FTDI device drivers to make the USB as serial port and after installing the driver the USB starts showing as mentioned in OCM documentation ( USB Serial Port (COMXX) ).

Now, i am able to communicate with the device but it's flaky. Sometimes read operation gives time out and without doing any change it works also.

Regards,
Ramiz

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,436 Views)

Hi,

I am unable to use any other command for write or query the data from the device except *IDN , i have tried in VISA test panel and also on Labview only IDN command works perfectly fine.

RamizHasan_0-1606481500134.png

This is the command manual:OCM Command Manual 

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,

Ramiz

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,413 Views)

Hi Ramiz.

@RamizHasan wrote:

I am unable to use any other command for write or query the data from the device except *IDN , i have tried in VISA test panel and also on Labview only IDN command works perfectly fine.

No other command? Not even *RST?

How do you send the commands?

Do you always attach CR+LF at the end of the command string?

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,402 Views)