LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collapsable Comments

Is there any kind of documentation system in Labview that lets you have lengthy comments on the block diagram? Ideally, you could drop an icon on the block diagram, and the icon links to a document with comments. You could then describe at length how the blob works. The document could contain all comments for a particular VI and the link would take you right to the proper section.

That would be a much desired feature.

Are there any add-ons that would add a documentation feature like this?

--

Brian Rose
Message 1 of 12
(3,894 Views)
This would be a nice feature.  Possible realize this with a vi template that has a string on its front pannel.  This would have to be automatically removed from the runtime build.  essentially a new type of lable that had an expandable tooltip built in could be very nice to have.
Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,890 Views)
I'm not sure I understand how this is different from the built-in VI documentation. With the Help Window open when you hover over the VI icon the help for the VI gets displayed. You can also have a link to a Help file with a more detailed description. This is how all the documentation for the built-in LabVIEW VIs and functions is done. 
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,878 Views)

I get by using string constants with the scroll bar visable to enter lenghty comments.

If I need images I just drop them on the diagram.

Need more room?

Put the images and documentation in a Stacked Sequence Structure

(after all, holding documentaion is the only legitemate reason to use a Stacked Sequence Structure Smiley Wink ).

Ben

Message Edited by Ben on 04-15-2009 09:34 AM
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Download All
Message 4 of 12
(3,871 Views)

What I was looking for is more like a comment block in the block diagram that can be collapsed to a small icon so it does not take up any space. This comment block would be linked to an external document to build a larger description document for the VI. Then that VIs document can be linked to the other VI s in the project.

At the end of the day, I would have one document that describes the operation of all the modules in great detail, and it would be generated from the comments in the code. So as the code and comments change, so does the description document.

When working in C/C++, most IDEs allow you to collapse the comment blocks so they don't clutter things up. But when you want to look at them, you click on the little + icon and you can see what you need. You can also use doxygen, which is a program that takes properly formatted comments and exports them to an HTML document. If you write your comments correctly, you can create an accurate design description very quickly.

So I guess this is a two-part wish list.

1) Collapsable comments in the Block diagrams for less clutter.

2) A system to collect those comments into a descriptive document for less effort on paperwork after the code is developed.

--

Brian Rose
Message 5 of 12
(3,865 Views)

Here is an example of Paul's suggestion of using a subVI.  The context help can also be useful when using the VI method.

Lynn 

Message 6 of 12
(3,848 Views)

Ben wrote:

I get by using string constants with the scroll bar visable to enter lenghty comments.

If I need images I just drop them on the diagram.

Need more room?

Put the images and documentation in a Stacked Sequence Structure

What?!?  Is that really you, Ben?  Have aliens taken over your keyboard?!?

Ben continued:

(after all, holding documentaion is the only legitemate reason to use a Stacked Sequence Structure Smiley Wink ).

Oh.  Okay.  All is right with the world again... Smiley Very Happy

cAT

Message 7 of 12
(3,836 Views)

Thanks Ben, I like that stacked sequence idea. I have another suggestion

Drop a string constant onto your block.

Type in something enclosed in "\\" so that you know that this string constant is comment. I suggest its a title or a header for your comment.

Right click and select Description and Tip.

Enter your comments into the Description field.

After that you can use context help (ctrl+h) to toggle your comment as shown.

David

Message Edited by David Crawford on 04-15-2009 07:11 PM
Message 8 of 12
(3,822 Views)

Thanks David!

Ben

Message Edited by Ben on 04-15-2009 01:40 PM
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 9 of 12
(3,810 Views)
I have done something similar to what David suggested, except the string is colored in a prominent color and placed as a merge VI in the palettes. I don't remember the details, since I don't actually use it, but I can look tomorrow.

(3,792 Views)