LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coercion dots, Typedef. and Property Nodes

Hi,

following problem:

1. I place a simple Control (Button 1) and connect it to an Indicator (Indicator 1) -> OK

2. I place a Button as Typedef. (Button 2) and connect it to an Indicator (Indicator 2) -> Coercion dot on Indicator 2 (I don't see the point of a boolean coercion, but OK)

3. I create a property node for Indicator 1 (Value) and try to connect a constant (right-click>Create>Constant -> the constant is grayed out and the error message is 'type definition not found or contains error'

Details: The master copy for this type definition could not be found or the master copy has errors. You must find and fix the master copy, or right-click this type definition and select Disconnect.

4. I remove Button 2 and repeat step 3 -> the same thing happens

If I connect an existing boolean constant to the property node there is a coercion dot. As a matter of fact for using one Typedef. Control in a VI all other control property nodes suddenly have coercion dots even if I remove the Typedef. control. Does it mean either all controls and indicators better are typedef. or none at all?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: the problem occurred originally in a VI with much more than two buttons...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,993 Views)

I'm not getting the error on the value property node. Is this what you were doing?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,976 Views)

If you switch to the wire tool and show your help then float over your wires you should see that the wire is strict.

That coercion dot only show that is going from strict to non-strict. No data copies etc.

its labVIEW's way of giving you an "FYI".

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,969 Views)

...you also can not write to the value node of a boolean with latch action.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 4 of 10
(3,960 Views)

Well, everything you've said is supposed to be right but this is what happened: everything like in Ben's picture except the 'false' constant is like grayed out, the 'run'-arrow broken and the error message as posted above.

The behavior remains the same after deleting Control 2. I've tried and I've tried and finally (why not right away?) I restarted LabView and it doesn't happen anymore. Even in my application all 'weird' coercion dots disappeared out of a sudden. I'd call that a bug...

But thank you anyway for your time.

Something else: did you realize that the spell-checker for this forum does not know the word 'LabView'?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,935 Views)

@benMyer wrote:

Something else: did you realize that the spell-checker for this forum does not know the word 'LabView'?

Because you are spelling it wrong. try LabVIEW instead. 😄

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,919 Views)

Altenbach,

I thought you were just joking a bit, but actually if you do spell it as LabVIEW and spellcheck, it does not show up as a spelling error.

What is interesting is that if you spell it as LabView like the original poster did, the forum spellcheck marks it as wrong, but the correct spelling of LabVIEW doesn't appear in the list as a choice of suggested correctly spelled words.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,906 Views)

It's true, written with capital lettersSmiley Surprised

At least I've learned something.

Nevertheless I can't seem to reproduce the problem. Don't know what I have been doing different yesterday.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,878 Views)

@benMyer wrote:

It's true, written with capital lettersSmiley Surprised

At least I've learned something.

Nevertheless I can't seem to reproduce the problem. Don't know what I have been doing different yesterday.

When resumes are processed where I work, the ones that don't know how to spell LabVIEW get tossed. I can't explain how I got it right.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,865 Views)

I'll write it 100 times now just to be sure and to keep all options open for my career...but in another thread, OK?

bm

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,838 Views)