From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cluster Typedef Constant Display Glitch

Take any cluster constant (I am illustrating this with an error cluster) and connect it to an indicator.

Display the constant as an icon:

Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 16.38.53.png

Make the indicator a typedef and save it:

Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 16.40.07.png

Now, select the constant and replace it with the typedef you just created (right-click > Replace > Select a VI...):

Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 16.40.52.png

Yep...

Here is another example with the cluster I discovered this problem with:

Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 16.42.32.png

In short, the display is bogus.

Now if you sequentially cycle through:

- uncheck View Cluster as Icon

- check View Cluster as Icon

things return to normal: 

Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 16.44.38.png

Well... almost!

Tested in LabVIEW 2015 SP1 64 bits, Windows 7

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,630 Views)
Yep, first noticed that in I think 2012, or was it '11? Oh well, it's been a long time, and 2015 has actually gotten a lot better.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,613 Views)

Yes, I've seen this silliness before.  The last picture reminds me of how sometimes LabVIEW doesn't clean up stray pixels, as if it miscalculates the area it needs to clean up.  If you scroll the offending pixels out of the BD window and come back, the pixels are gone.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,566 Views)

I do  use to get this more often when I was using LV 2011 back 2 years ago and had to scroll up and down. Run a VI in highlight mode (Larger VI Preferebly) Left Click and Drag the diagram around we can see this type of glitch even in 2015. 

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,561 Views)

OK, but I am not describing one of those typical display refresh failures you are mentioning. This kind of glitch can be solved by a Ctrl+Run Arrow action.

I am pasting a snipet of a VI obtained following the instructions above (the necessary typedef can be found as attachment):

Typedef Constant Display Glitch.png

This stuff is a different beast. Try Ctrl+Run Arrow, the cluster is definitely not reverting to anything sensible.

Only the sequence of uncheck/check View as Icon actions I described solves the problem.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,538 Views)

@X. wrote:

OK, but I am not describing one of those typical display refresh failures you are mentioning. This kind of glitch can be solved by a Ctrl+Run Arrow action.

I am pasting a snipet of a VI obtained following the instructions above (the necessary typedef can be found as attachment):

Typedef Constant Display Glitch.png

This stuff is a different beast. Try Ctrl+Run Arrow, the cluster is definitely not reverting to anything sensible.

Only the sequence of uncheck/check View as Icon actions I described solves the problem.

Sorry, my post was misleading.  I've seen this as well, and it's just plain goofy.  It's not a graphics glitch in the sense of a bad window refresh; it's as if LabVIEW couldn't decide how to best display it, so it used a blending of a few different ways.  In this case, like a cluster and an icon at the same time.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,535 Views)