From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class ID and Name Lists for LV 8.5

Is there a master list for LV 8.5 of the class IDs and Names.  The most recent one I can find is for 6i which is quite old, I am sure that many new classes of objects have been added.

Paul
Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(4,267 Views)
Hey Paul.

It does not look like we have a compiled list available for you to view.  There is a Get LV Class Default Value VI that may allow you to get what you are looking for.

Can I ask why you need this information, and how you plan on using it?  Perhaps there is a better way to accomplish what you are trying to do.

Regards,

Kevin H
National Instruments
WSN/Wireless DAQ Product Support Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(4,241 Views)

Where I use it to to make utility functions which can take a reference to a vi and apply some function on all objects on the referenced object.  Its a commpn theme where essentially for each object in vi's object list can get its classID or class name and then typcast the object to the approperate more specific class then apply a function specific function depenfding on the class type.

Paul

Paul Falkenstein
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(4,232 Views)
I have the same question as the original poster, so I decided to post here rather than starting a duplicate thread.  Does anyone know of a list of class ID's and names newer than this one (for LV 6.0)?

I'm trying to do the same thing as the original poster: I'm passing a generic reference to a property node to get that reference's class ID.  I then wire this to a case structure so that I can typecast the reference to a more-specific type, depending on the class ID.  However, I need to know what type to use for each class ID, and I suspect that the four-year-old list I found is not up-to-date.

Thanks,
peppergrower
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(4,122 Views)

Create a new VI and press Ctrl-Shift-B.  This brings up the Class Browser.  Make sure the "Object library" ring is set to "VI Server".  Now, if you click the "Class" ring, you'll see the names of every available VI Server class.  This is the easiest way I can think of that you can get what you need.  I wouldn't worry about the Class IDs, since the Class Name should be all you need for the app you described.

-D

Message Edited by Darren on 04-16-2008 11:44 PM
Message 5 of 18
(4,108 Views)

If you go to the LAVA forums and search for "class generator" you should be able to find something.

Darren wrote:

I wouldn't worry about the Class IDs, since the Class Name should be all you need for the app you described.

But the class names can change between versions. Isn't that the whole point of having class IDs?

Darren, thanks for the idea.  You're right; I don't actually need to use the class IDs.  It would, however, be awfully nice to have a complete list of all the class names, at least, without having to repeatedly browse through that list.  I suppose I can do it by hand; there's not a way to get a list programmatically, is there, so I could load them into an enum?  That way I could create a case structure containing all of the possible class names, and use that to handle any case.

Edit: tst, thanks for that idea.  (Sorry, didn't see your post until I typed this up already.)  I'll go check over there and see what I can find.  I would like this to keep working with as many versions as possible, so you have a point there.

Thanks,
peppergrower

Message Edited by peppergrower on 04-17-2008 01:53 AM
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(4,093 Views)

It s hightime we had a property/method that ll throw out ALL the Class IDs & Class Names available in LV. Smiley Wink

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(4,081 Views)

tst wrote:

But the class names can change between versions. Isn't that the whole point of having class IDs?

There's really no point to having Class IDs.  The names of public VI Server classes should never change.

-D
Message 9 of 18
(4,045 Views)

why is this info so hard to get?  Why isnt there an enum provided with this info in it fro each version of labview?  I find it useful for generic operations on a referenced object.

Paul

Paul Falkenstein
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Message 10 of 18
(4,036 Views)