From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification of the capabilities of the Labview RT

I've designed a Labview VI with a somewhat complex user interface.  As the next step in the project, the team wants to figure out if its possible to switch to a the RT system and maintain the graphical user interface from the current system.  I have search and read as much as I could on the Labview RT system, but I am still confused on some of the specifications. 

1) Can you have a GUI on a Labview RT Target Machine?

2) Can you use a touchscreen to interact with a Labview Target Machine, and if so have there been specific models tested?

3) What chipsets from standard desktops have been tested with the Labview RTOS?

4) Are there any limitations on connecting to a remote computer over the Internet to upload files to an FTP server from a Labview RT target machine?

5) Are there any limitations on connecting to a database on a remote computer over the Internet from a Labview RT target machine?

I've tried to search through the different documentation available, but have been unable to find answers to these specific questions.  The project needs to know the answers to these questions in order to decide if it is possible to switch to the Labview RTOS or if we need to stay with our current Windows version.  The current VI does not need to be deterministic, however, the next step in the project will need to be, but the GUI needs to be the same.

Thanks for any help provide.

Mike
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,171 Views)

1) Can you have a GUI on a Labview RT Target Machine?

No, a Real-Time (RT) executable losses all of its Front Panel items when it is deployed to a target.  You can instead use a Remote Front Panel or network published shared variables to communicate with a VI on your host machine. 

How Do I Create a Remote Front Panel for Use on a Real-Time Target Executable?

Exploring Remote Communication Methods

2) Can you use a touchscreen to interact with a Labview Target Machine, and if so have there been specific models tested?

Yes, you can you NI Touch Panel Module to control a RT executable or VI.

NI LabVIEW Touch Panel Module

3) What chipsets from standard desktops have been tested with the Labview RTOS?

Please refer to the following Knowledge Base article (KB) for information on this topic.

Requirements for a Desktop PC as a Real-Time Target

4) Are there any limitations on connecting to a remote computer over the Internet to upload files to an FTP server from a Labview RT target machine?

You can use any standard FTP client to FTP files to a RT Target.  You may also use the FTP VIs in LabVIEW to programmatically FTP files from the RT target to another machine.

5) Are there any limitations on connecting to a database on a remote computer over the Internet from a Labview RT target machine?

You cannot have any OPC or SQL type database client or server run on a RT system because these require Windows to function.  You could use shared variables to communicate data to another machine that can run database tools. 

Installing LabVIEW DSC, SQL, or MSDE on a Real-Time Target
Mark
NI App Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,150 Views)