LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choice between LabView NXG web module or remote panels in normal LabView

For my univeristy physics master's project I am creating virtual versions (in LabView) of various electronics labs and equipment (including a virtual oscilloscope) used in my course at university. I want to be able to share these over the internet so that students can access the simulations (through a browser) to practice using the different equipment, when they do not have any labview software on their own computer.

I am trying to work out whether remote panels or the LabView NXG web module would be the best option for this.

Am I correct in thinking that the remote panels require the LabView file to be running somewhere so that the remote panel can control it, and that in contrast the LabView NXG web module makes the VI entirely web based so that the file does not have to be hosted somewhere else it is just all within the website and could be accessed by many people independently at the same time?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,166 Views)

Am I correct in thinking that the remote panels require the LabView file to be running somewhere so that the remote panel can control it, and that in contrast the LabView NXG web module makes the VI entirely web based so that the file does not have to be hosted somewhere else it is just all within the website and could be accessed by many people independently at the same time?

Hi katievega8,

Yep! That is a good summary of the difference between how LabVIEW Remote Front Panels run and how WebVIs created with LabVIEW NXG Web Module run.

WebVIs created by LabVIEW NXG Web Module are standalone web application files (HTML, JS, CSS) that can be hosted on any HTTP web server. WebVIs run inside the browser and do not need to connect back to a LabVIEW running on the desktop or embedded devices. Although many WebVIs choose to use HTTP, WebSockets, or SystemLink APIs to communicate with desktop or embedded devices to interact with hardware. But you are not required to do that for a WebVI to run.

An example similar to what you describe is the simulation page from the Universidad de Valladolid Dpto de Ingeniería Eléctrica which used WebVIs to create different circuit simulations. Their examples used an older version of LabVIEW NXG Web Module where newer versions have improved styling, performance, and controls available but it shows an example of creating simulations running completely in the browser.

Milan
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,119 Views)

katievega8

Make sure that you look into the options for hosting the WebVI. Not sure what support you have from NI but you need to host the files somewhere. They have their Cloud Based hosting service that can do it but there needs to be some "sever" to host the files so browsers have somewhere to go to. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,076 Views)