LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check box shriks back if i close labview and open it again

I am trying to size a checkbox to match the hieght of text on a list box. It works fine for the current session. But if i close labview and open it again, it becomes a small check box!!!! this happens only with V7
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,589 Views)
LV7 is much more strict when it comes to dialog controls; where controls and decorations might look the same on both XP and 2k, scale etc. before, they now always stick to the OS theme and their defined proportions.

There's lots of dialog controls that are nice to use and I would prefer it if it were an option to use them just for their design as they are, with no ties to the OS definitions...the dialog recessed frame e.g. as it is on Win2k is very nice and works on different background colors, but it's not nice (and in some cases got invisible in our VIs due to identical coloring) when on XP...but there are no identical non-dialog decorations...

In your case a proper non-dialog checkbox would be nice, but the only alternative looks quite different and much le
ss professional.

Creating a custom control is one possibility off course, but not a very slick one.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,589 Views)
> There's lots of dialog controls that are nice to use and I would
> prefer it if it were an option to use them just for their design as
> they are, with no ties to the OS definitions...the dialog recessed
> frame e.g. as it is on Win2k is very nice and works on different
> background colors, but it's not nice (and in some cases got invisible
> in our VIs due to identical coloring) when on XP...but there are no
> identical non-dialog decorations...
>

The dialog controls are actually drawn using OS functions such as
DrawThemeButton(). The OS function is the one that draws it with the
correct bevel and colors. This approach means that it is more adaptive.
When Windows YZ comes out, presumably the dialog controls will
automatically look at least
close to the way they are supposed to.
Unfortunately, this means that this image isn't available on other OSes.

Greg McKsakle
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,589 Views)
I dont understand why the size of the checkbox should be lost. I am ok with the concept of look and feel depending on OS but why should it resize the checkbox. i have made it strict tpyedef, locked the control etc but none works. So i now programtically set the size each time i initialize this vi. this is really awkward.

Anand.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,589 Views)
> I dont understand why the size of the checkbox should be lost. I am ok
> with the concept of look and feel depending on OS but why should it
> resize the checkbox. i have made it strict tpyedef, locked the control
> etc but none works. So i now programtically set the size each time i
> initialize this vi. this is really awkward.
>

If you think it is a bug, please report it with an example VI. I think
what you are describing is that the dialog checkbox is a different size
depending on the OS it is loaded on. The size, like the color and style
may be something defined by the OS. I know it is on at least one OS.

Greg McKaskle
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,589 Views)
Greg,
In my initial post, i have a vi attached to it. In the example there, the check box was sized to match the text in the list box but every time i reopen the VI, after quiting labview, it shriks!! I'll report this to NI

anand.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,589 Views)
How did you size the checkboxes to the text? I've opened you exampel but the checkboxes stay the same whatever I do.

Sjoerd
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,589 Views)
from advanced menu customize and from there you can resize the control. You can then apply changes.

anand.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,589 Views)
I'm still unable to resize the checkbox. It seems that checkboxes and radio buttons are not resizeble.

However, I've been able to align the checkboxes with the list items. I've set the boolean text as a visible item and then replaced the OFF/ON text with a space. Then I resized the text until the array was aligned with the list.

Sjoerd
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,589 Views)