From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the strings[] parameter in a dynamically linked subvi

Solved!
Go to solution

I am in a situation where I need to use subpanels to dynamically link subVIs for data entry. I also like to have the calling VI be able to modify the strings[] parameter of several of the enums in the subVI, but this does not appear to be possible as the subVI is not in edit mode. Does anyone know of a way around this?

I'm reading data from a file to initialize the enums, so I could have the subVI read the file instead, however I was hoping to do it once in the main VI and send the strings to the subVIs to speed up execution.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,222 Views)

Use rings instead of enums.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,218 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author derekemuff

derekemuff wrote:

I'm reading data from a file to initialize the enums, so I could have the subVI read the file instead, however I was hoping to do it once in the main VI and send the strings to the subVIs to speed up execution.

That's impossible.  Enums are set in stone at runtime.  Oh wait, you are trying to use scripting at run-time.  Sorry, that doesn't work.  Notice that the property node for the Strings[] for the enum is blue?  That tells you that it is a scripting node and only useful for editing VIs during edit time.

As RavensFan said, you need to use a Ring.  Their data type is an actual number.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,171 Views)