LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing colors of select points on 3D surface plot

Hello everyone,

I have a 3D surface plot in which I want to make several critical points a different color.  For instance, the plot itself is varying shades of red, but there can be anywhere between 5-10 points of interest (contained in an array) that I'd really like to stand out on the plot, let's say in bright green. 

If that's possible that'd be awesome.  However, I'm concerned that changing the color of one point might not be easily discernible on the plot.  So can I make it "larger", for lack of a better word?     

1.  How do I select the individual points and change their color?

2.  How can I change their size so that it's obvious where the points are?

I'm using Labview 8.2. 

I appreciate the help!
Alex 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,803 Views)

Is this 3d Picture version of the CW 3D graph version?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,782 Views)

I'm not sure what you mean by your question.

I'm hoping to just update the surface plot on my front screen with some overlaid points that the user can analyze and see if the points of interest are where they should be.

Maybe you expand on what you commented?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,773 Views)

Here is a link to an example for the CW 3D graph that shows you much of the functionality.

If you are using the new version that is based on the 3D Picture control, please forgive my posts.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,766 Views)

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the link.  I wasn't too familiar with properties or methods before this, but it seems like you can do a lot with them! 

I mostly copied your code, except that I selected point color and point size for the properties I wanted to adjust.  I'm not looking at making contour lines like your example, just change the point attributes.  However, no matter how much I adjust the size and color properties, I never see any change on the plot.  The plot is grayscale, so I hope colors would stand out.  But I also tried to change the point size to really really big, and nothing happened. 

Not sure what I'm missing here, but hopefully it's something easy you can spot.  I couldn't attach my VI or input file because they're just too big unfortunately.  I can try to manipulate the file if you think it'll help.

Thanks for your help!
Alex

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,734 Views)

Looking at your code I don't see you using the W Vector.

Without getting into this too deep, you can add a seperate plot to add single points where you need them. In that case the point color will work.

If you want to vary the color of each point then I would go with using the W-Evector to define the color at each point.

This thread may help. Here is a preview.

Bubbles in fluid flow (pink) 

Cross-section of mouse tendon.

I hope that help more than it hurts!

Ben

Message 6 of 9
(3,720 Views)

Hello Ben,

Sorry it took so long to reply.  I had to take some time to learn more about invoke and property nodes.  I still have a lot to learn about this stuff!

I guess I'm not really sure what the W Vector accomplishes.  From what I understand, with each Add invoke node, I'm adding a plot to the graph.  I then set the data set properties with the Property node, and then graph it through another invoke node by inputting the individuals vectors.  But even after looking through your examples and playing around with it, I still don't really know what I'm trying to accomplish with the W Vector.  

In the first link you attached, I see how with each iteration of the for loop you plot a contour, which changes color every time.  You don't have anything wired into the W Vector here.  It seems like the line color just gets passed from the property node to the invoke node.  What am I doing wrong?     

Thanks for putting up with these questions!  Treading into new territory here.

Alex

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,665 Views)

Still hoping for some help on this!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,617 Views)

@AlexP1 wrote:

Still hoping for some help on this!

Help but not a solution. That is your part.

This thread has a simplified example that uses a hand full of data points to render the air pressure on the surface of a car in a wind tunnel (not really but I made it look that way).

These  images show what it does

In that example there is a front panel control that is used for the plot. You can poke at the values one at a time and watch the plot to see what effect it had on the image.

So use that example to learn what the W vector does and how to use it.

Then massage your data to fit and...

Note:

I am going to be away for about two weeks so do not hold your breath waiting for me.

If you have trouble post up a new message with all of your code along with some interesting images to trick others into reading.

Remeber, all of teh Gold/red bars are volunteers that only answer waht they feel like answering so make it tempting.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,600 Views)