LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing TDMS file extensions

Hi there,

We use TDMS files in several applications, and need some way to distinguish what application a data file came from. One idea is to just use a different extension for the file, such as .App1data and .App2data (names of course TBD), whilst maintaining the TDMS file format.

Does anyone forsee any issues with doing this? Or perhaps you have done it yourself? Other than Windows not recognising the file to open in excel which isn't important.

Thanks,
Ian

Ian
LabVIEW since 2012
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,589 Views)

no problems,

other than you choose an extension that is already 'mapped' to a program and the program trying to open it crashes, but that is unlikely

regards

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,586 Views)

Should be fine, except for Windows reacting a bit annoying when trying to open it.

But I still believe it's easier to put it in the filename like _app1data instead of using the file extension.

Andreas

Andreas
CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,549 Views)

Hey Ian,

One main thing to conciser is that if you are attempting to change the file extension programatically as seen in this snippet:TDMS Extention.png

The actual file saved on path will be 'Example.RandomExtention.tdms' - keep this in mind.

I would recommend using a ' - ' as a deliminator to essentially add attributes to your file name.

If you're browsing this yourself in windows then you many want your application name first so you can quickly sort/type on the keyboard to search for it.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,540 Views)

I would typically add descriptor text using a delimiter such as hyphen, underscore, or period.  At least under semi-modern versions of Windows, file and folder names can have multiple period characters -- only the very last one is considered to denote the file extension.  In other words, a file name like "App1.StressTest.LowVoltage.tdms" would be handled just as cleanly as "App1_StressTest_LowVoltage.tdms".  If you filter your file dialog for tdms files, both would show up.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,533 Views)