LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing EXE Icon

@7J1L1M wrote:

Rolfk,

Are you saying that I can use a resource editor like the one I mentioned in the beginning and, if I edit it, can then make an EXE with those resources?  Should I make a backup of the original lvapp.lib before editing it?

7J1L1M

I feel like I'm talking Hindi here!!!

What I'm saying is that the LabVIEW application builder before 8.20 takes the lvapp.lib (which really is a stub executable, that means a legitimite executable that does not much in itself) attaches the created VI library to it and some extra magic so that the stub executable knows how to locate that VI library and then renames the resulting file to your EXE file. There is not much you can do about this process yourself unless you want to reverse engineer what the Application Builder does (which might be illegal in your jurisdication). And note that LabVIEW 8.20 for Windows has changed that process somehow and it might change anytime again in the future so trying to reverse engineer that is not a very fruitful investment of time at all.

Adding resources to the executable part after the executable has been built by the Application Builder will cause a size change of the executable stup, moving the location of the VI library relative to the beginning of the file and render the extra magic to let the executable stub find the VI library invalid. So if you want to add resources to your executable you have to do that before the Application Builder uses the executable stub and that means modifying the lvapp.lib file.

And since most Windows programs follow Microsoft you will have to rename it to .exe to let most resource compilers open it for editing but in order for the LabVIEW application builder to be able to use the file you will have to rename it back to lvapp.lib after that.

I hope this is now clear enough as I have spent more than enough time with this. A little experimentation before posting follow-up questions might be sometimes quite appropriate. A step by step howto movie on youtobe is definitely not something I'm going to do 😉

Rolf Kalbermatter

Message Edited by rolfk on 01-17-2007 07:55 AM

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 12
(598 Views)

Thank you for your help.  Sorry I'm not very advanced when it comes to LabVIEW's internals.  That's more on the Windows and C+ side of things, which unfortunately I know very little about.  I appreciate your time.

7J1L1M

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 12
(580 Views)