Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Camera's Model Name or CamerasUser ID

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,
I have bought two GigE cameras and i am using a version of NI Vision Builder
(Sorry couldnt fine VBAI topic and post it in Lab View).

Right now i am trying to connect both cameras and i want them to have different displayed names.
As you can see on the attached photo in the i-central (camera's software) i can change the device name to: ASPS [.....].
But when i open the NI Max it is still the default name: ContrasTech Mars....

Is there any way i can edit the diplay name of the Camera through NI MAX?? 
Even if i can not edit the file inside the device, can i change the camera's name displayed??

Thank you.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,670 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author StergiosV

When you connect a Camera to your PC, Windows "sees" the Camera (using some standard Protocols, probably GenICam if it is a camera that can be "plugged in" and becomes visible to MAX).  I'm unsure at what point LabVIEW Services (running in the background) notice the new device, but they appear to take data stored by the Vendor that identifies the Camera (ContrasTech Mars6000-... in your case, C922 Pro Stream Webcam in the case of the Logitech WebCam I just plugged into my laptop) and shows this identifier in MAX.

As this identifier initially comes from the Hardware built into the Camera by the manufacturer, you can't change its initial name.  However, if this is critically important to you, and you are feeling maybe a little bit reckless (as this might break some code later in development), you can go looking for the Camera's IMAQ Interface Descriptor file (it will be called something like "cam2.iid", and might be located in the Public Data Folder under National Instruments\NI-IMAQdx\data).  This is a Text file structured as a .INI file.  In the Camera_Interface Data section, you can (probably safely) edit the Vendor Tag to be "ASPS", or anything else you want.  You should probably not mess with any of the other fields unless you are really up on how IMAQdx works.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,647 Views)

Hello Bob, thank you so much for your advice. It works perfectly!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,607 Views)