From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change UDP ports used by SVE

Hello all,

I have recently installed a piece of hardware which transmits information to UDP port 6001 on my computer. Some software then runs on the computer listens to this port in order to detect the hardware.

However, LabVIEW shared variable engine seems to use the same port. On the computer in question the port is used by NITaggerService (National Instruments Variable Engine).

One solution is to stop this service - this works and allows the software to detect the hardware. However, eventually, I want to run this hardware alongside LabVIEW (indeed, LabVIEW will communicate with the hardware), so this is not a desirable solution.

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/12402/en suggestst that UDP ports 6000-6010 are used by Shared Variables and Network Streams, which is consistant with the service identified above. It suggests that these ports are fixed, however, I have noticed that on different computers, port 6001 is used by a different NI Service (e.g. on another computer, it is used by lkTimeSync (National Instruements Time Synchronization) ), suggesting that there is /some/ flexibility. In addition, not all the ports from 6000-6010 are used in practice, suggesting that it might be possible to use another port in the range 6000-6010 rather than 6001.

Does anyone know how to force NI SVE to use a different range of UDP port, or at least to not use 6001?

All the best

James Polyblank

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,605 Views)

Hi James,

It is not possible to pre-define which ports the NI services should use. One way to get around this would be to have these services not auto start on windows launch and manually start it once your other software has established communication with the hardware through UDP port 6001.

You have taken the first step in this direction by stopping the service. After the hardware has been detected (on port 6001), restart the NITaggerService that you stopped. This will automatically start the service on a port that is free and available.

Try this and see if it works. You can also try starting the service automatically from your labview application using 'System Exec.vi' .

Thanks and Regards,

Thanks and Regards,
Supreeth.K

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,533 Views)