cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change LabVIEW Registered Owner and Company

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi!

We out-source our IT and my laptop recently needed a reinstall of Windows.  They used their company name as my Windows Registered Owner name and I didn't change it before I installed LabVIEW.  Now LabVIEW has the registered owner wrong and there is no company name.  Its a minor annoyance to not see my name and company on the splash screen when I launch LabVIEW.  Its a bit more of an annoyance that everytime I create a new VI, Build, or Installer the author and company does not autopopulate in the field forms.  Is there anyway to change this after I have installed LabVIEW?

Thank you for your time and input!

Message 1 of 25
(6,432 Views)

Search online for changing the registered owner and company name. You just need to change the registry keys, which you can do by accessing regedit.exe. There are tons of webpages online that show how to do this. Simple search for it on a search engine.

Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 25
(6,403 Views)

Adnan,

I don't think that is the whole answer.  It seems that name and company name get buried into the LV executable upon installation.  Although you can change the registry settings after installation, the splash screen does not change accordingly.

I've seen this issue before where sometimes you are asked for the username and company upon installation.  Other times, it gets pulled from the registry automatically without asking.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 25
(6,397 Views)

I think RavenFan is right.  I've replaced most "National Instruments" RegisteredOwner RegOwner and RegisteredCompany and RegCompany fields (crap there are a lot of them) and I'm still not getting them displayed correctly or autopopulating various form data properly in LabVIEW.

I was not ever asked during install.  Is there anyway to make it ask?  I've changed the registry keys for Windows (I think...) so that it has my proper information.  If I uninstall and reinstall LabVIEW will that fix it?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 25
(6,389 Views)

Yes he is right. I mis-read your question. My suggestion is only helpful for future installations of LabVIEW.

Adnan Zafar
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 25
(6,381 Views)

@AdnanZ wrote:

Search online for changing the registered owner and company name. You just need to change the registry keys, which you can do by accessing regedit.exe. There are tons of webpages online that show how to do this. Simple search for it on a search engine.

Changing the keys specified in this article didn't work:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/955FF9EB1DEFCDCE86256AD900763026

I typically only post questions here after extensive online searching.  The irony about telling someone specificly to search google on the issue is that eventually Google will index this thread and this might be a top search result.  Oh what do you know, now it is at the very top of the google search (at least for me...).  So now when someone searches for this problem, they will read your post and won't that be funny.

Message 6 of 25
(6,379 Views)

Hi Nickerbocker,

before de-/reinstalling LabVIEW I would try to de-/reactivate the license through LabVIEW License Manager...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 25
(6,378 Views)

Please note that I was talking about changing the registry keys at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

But, as I mentioned after I was corrected, that wouldn't change the owner and company of already installed LabVIEW versions. Only future installations.

Adnan Zafar
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 25
(6,373 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion GerdW, but that didn't work for me.  Still not getting the fields to auto populate.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 25
(6,370 Views)

@Nickerbocker wrote:

I think RavenFan is right.  I've replaced most "National Instruments" RegisteredOwner RegOwner and RegisteredCompany and RegCompany fields (crap there are a lot of them) and I'm still not getting them displayed correctly or autopopulating various form data properly in LabVIEW.

I was not ever asked during install.  Is there anyway to make it ask?  I've changed the registry keys for Windows (I think...) so that it has my proper information.  If I uninstall and reinstall LabVIEW will that fix it?

Yes, there are a huge number of registry keys.

I'm not sure how to make it ask.  I think one time I may have initially tried installing in Evaluation Mode, then later changed the licensing once I cleaned a license off the older machine I was replacing.  I think when I later activated the LabVIEW through the license app, then it may have asked me for the username and company.  But that is based on my memory when that wasn't even something I was trying to pay attention to at the time.

Uninstalling and reinstalling might work.  But it is also a lot of work to do that.  If you wind up doing that, please let us know how it turned out.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 25
(6,369 Views)