LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Application Language At Runtime

Hi,

I am writing a multilingual supported application in labview. I understand how to use export and import string file functions and make a multilingual application with those methods. But I want to be able to change the language at runtime. Is there a way to use those two methods at runtime? Or How can I write a multilingual application whose language can be changed at runtime with another way? Please help me to do that.

Thanks in advance,

Mehmet.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,631 Views)

I wrote some vis in the past to use a lookup file and change captions, boolean text, free lables, string constants (handled seperatly).... using property nodes, it worked well but was a pain (I was able to support 5 languages).  There are several ways to do this.

The main thing I learned, USE AS LITTLE TEXT AS POSSIBLE.  Keep your messages short use icons and pictures, and anticipate that the length of strings are very different in other languages (ie a short booleana text on a button might not fit in Geman).

There is a third party toolkit out there but I have not used it so I cant give much help here.

I also learned to budget a good amount of time for this task.

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
Message 2 of 5
(2,619 Views)

Thanks for your helps falkpl. But I couldn't get an exact answer to solve my problem. I think this is a fundamental subject on developing software. Isn't there a standart way on making multilingual application in Labview? Please help me.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,599 Views)

See this note on using vi strings.

There are some nice notes about default string controls instead of string constants and other pitfalls of using the import strings method.

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3603

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,579 Views)

mehmetned wrote:

Thanks for your helps falkpl. But I couldn't get an exact answer to solve my problem. I think this is a fundamental subject on developing software. Isn't there a standart way on making multilingual application in Labview? Please help me.

It is hard to give an exact answer to a general question.

With the exception of the label (fixed can't change use caption instead) all of the text associated with all of the object on the FP can be set using propert nodes assocaited with every object.

So...

For every object on your FP you must select the proper set of strings and apply them to the appropriate controls/indicators.

In my case I use an sub-state of my init code to run through all of the strings and set them before the app starts running.

A word of warning about the export import approach...

When last I checked, a small change to the GUI means going back to page one.

Have fun,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,565 Views)