LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carpel Tunnel syndrome from using mouse too much

Another easy thing to try is switching which hand you use. It will take you a week to get used to using your off hand, but your normal hand will thank you. Unfortunately, a lot of mice are definitely right handed. I solved the problem with a Logitech marble mouse (a trackball) that is absolutely symmetric, so I can easily switch between either hand. It's also very cheap ($20), if it is still being made. It is also more ergonomic than a regular mouse, since your hand is held more vertical than horizontal. You don't have to support your fingers and the arm is closer to a neutral position.

Don't forget that other activities can exacerbate this problem. I have been playing mandolin for 20 years, and I know this has also caused some of the problems I am seeing.
Message 11 of 23
(3,484 Views)
WOW!

I'm glad a read this thread.

I've been having arm / wrist problems... nothing serious. Stretching exercises helps.

However, after reading this thread, it appears that I should take the pain seriously.
Definetely, some mouse cause more pain than others... Especially the older vintage.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. You all deserve *****.

I will checkout trackballs as an alternative to a mouse.
How are Physiotherapists w.r.t. Carpel Tunnel?

-JLV-
Message 12 of 23
(3,472 Views)
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions from everyone. I am seriously looking into the pen stylus solutions. I have a very good programming friend who unfortunatly sufferes from carpel tunnel. Three surgerys later he is not in any better shape. I was in a snow machine accident that resulted in two plates and twelve bolts in my right arm and the doctors tell me either arthritus or carpel tunnel will catch up with me eventually. If I can prevent or slow down either one I will be very pleased. Thanks again for the mention of the pen stylus, I did not know anyone had tried them with LabVIEW. I did see on the web a mouse shaped as a pistol, kind of a gimic for gamers, but it does keep the had in the natural vertical position and not horizontal. If I come across it again I will post it.
Message 13 of 23
(3,463 Views)
The mouse BenBabb is referring to is the Monster Gecko Pistol Mouse FPS. A google search will turn up several reviews - mostly positive.
Message 14 of 23
(3,435 Views)
I hate to be the one here to plug a nutritional product to help carpel tunnel, but no one mentions nutrition in all of the posts in this thread. I am not a doctor, but have seen my share of health problems in my family. We all spend way too much time on the computer, either because we like to or we have to in order to make a living. I probably average 50 hours a week on the computer and use a standard, wheeled, optical mouse. Many of my clients put me in the lab on the test station that never considered ergonomics. I do not have carpel tunnel.

This condtion can often be improved by the addtion of specific minerals to the blood stream. This can ease the flow of blood thru your veins and also the flow of electricity in your nerves. You may also be surprized by some other benefits. I take two products every day that I recommend you try for 90 days, Genesis and Advanced Omega. 9 out 10 of my friends and family who tried these two products saw significant benefits. Please email me and let me know your results.

Here is a Genesis brochure: http://www.abcdefirm.com/pdfs/GENESIS.pdf

You can get more information at www.sdbh.com
Michael Munroe, CLD, CTD, MCP
Automate 1M+ VI Search, Sort and Edit operations with Property Inspector 5.0, now with a new Interactive Window Manager!
Now supports full project automation using one-click custom macros or CLI.
Message 15 of 23
(3,407 Views)
A visit to my Primary physician and I try to explain my pain to him, (which is hard to do in just 3 minuites.)
And He says "it sounds like tennis elbow." So I am supposed to use cold and hot compress on my forearm and then do stretching exercises durin the day.

I say "but I never play tennis, however, I use the mouse a lot, a real lot, and I use a joystick at home at night (for fun) and I play folk guitar and all these things tend to hurt my elbow and my grip, especially when I grab a heavy object far away from me and attempt to lift it."

Im actually having trouble describing my pain since there is no one move that makes it happen.

For example, reaching over to the passenger side and lifting my briefcase to exit my car is painful.
Grabbing my chair at home and pulling it out from the table to sit on it is also a no no.

IF I stretch my arm out and keep my hand facing down and bring it towards me not much pain there.
However I Look at the palm of my hand and bring it towards me the same way it is definately more painful in the elbow area.
Tennis elbow?

I also noticed that the bending of the wrist such as what might be done when using a mouse while standing up and crouching over a desktop PC to do some quick and dirty computing chores (like helping it boot up, or just clicking the OK button on a dialog box) seems to feel quite uncomfortable.

BTW thanks to all for the responses.
I will be taking all the advice very seriously, especially the ones concerning the change in input device's
I have a feeling this thread miight be around for awhile.

Thanks again,
TG

Message 16 of 23
(3,398 Views)
I take an omega 3 fatty acid complex and a very good multivitamin everyday and it hasn't changed my RSI. This is too serious to be taken lightly as it can lead to permanent disability if not treated properly. Taking a pill in my opinion won't fix it. My getting better took physical therapy, a new desk, a new keyboard, replacing my mouse with a tablet input device, lots of massage therapy and special stretches my yoga teacher taught me and doing them religiously. Even with all the changes and therapy visits it took over a year to get better. I still get relapses if I am not careful. As someone once told me it is easier to prevent this stuff than to try and fix it after the fact. My doctor told me that once you injure yourself in this manner it is very easy to reinjure yourself. Also, the damage is cumulative. I found an excellent web site that has lots of information and resources just for computer RSI: http://eeshop.unl.edu/rsi.html

take care,
P. Danek
Message 17 of 23
(3,397 Views)
I'm not sure about nutritional supplements, but I will consider the Physiotherapist as a definite soution.
I obtained really good help removing pain from my shoulder.
The source of the problem came from a back muscle which was underutilized. I will call and find out what they have to say about CTS.

Thanks for sgharing valuable information. I didn't realize how serious the small (but constant) pain was in my right hand. Time to take care of it early!!..

😄
Message 18 of 23
(3,378 Views)
http://www.pushback.biz/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=140&ad=GoogleReach

I do martial arts (Taekwon-do specifically) and I am also a programmer/IT person, so I have had problems with my wrists for a while now. May i suggest the Powerball-one website that my friend looked at said it was loved by pc geeks and martial artists alike-that fits me I suppose! It's highly addictive but really useful for strengthening wrists. My boyfriend who is also a martial arts fanatic (and avid gamer) broke his wrist and had always had problems with it-up until 3 days ago when he got his powerball! Now we are encouraging everyone in the Taekwon-do club to get one!
Here is a quote from one website
"These unique instruments generate massive force and put the shoulders, arms and wrists of the user under big pressure - making them ideal for fitness enthusiasts and virtually every kind of sport imaginable. And in addition, because the inertia (or gyroscope resistance) generated within the Powerball is directly proportional to the speed at which you are spinning the rotor - these precision instruments are just as capable of gently rehabilitating a damaged limb (wrist breakage, carpal tunnel syndrome, RSI, tendonitis, tennis elbow, golf elbow etc.) as they are at building huge muscle in the arms and shoulders - its a completely non impact form of exercise and is all about rotor speed."

it retails at about £25-not sure about US$ cost. Hope it can help some folk out there.
Message 19 of 23
(3,370 Views)
Thanks,

I will check it out.

-JLV-
Message 20 of 23
(3,310 Views)