LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capturing mouse down event on Type Def. Cluster isn't working.

I am attempting to capture a mouse down even whenever
a user clicks anywhere in a cluster, including where
there are no controls. The cluster is an indicator
and is a type def. as well. I am using LV 6.1 and am
capturing the event using an event structure.

The problem I am encountering is that the event is not
fired at all when the user clicks on non-control
sections of the cluster if it is a type def. The
annoying thing is that this behavior works "correctly"
(the way I want it to) if the cluster is not a type
def.

Any help resolving this issue would be appriciated.

Regards,
Naveen
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,400 Views)
Naveen,

I was unable to duplicate this problem.

Could you post your code so that we can try to figure out the problem?

Thank you.
Message 2 of 15
(3,401 Views)
I, too, have noticed weird things with the event structure and type definitions. It is as if the internal wiring of labview gets garbled. I have an array of clusters, and I am capturing the data changed event of the array. Sometimes events stop firing. If I rename my control, then events will fire. I have been moving this VI between Windows and Sun. The problem only occurred once on the Windows machine, but I see it repeatedly on Sun. In fact the code work on Windows, right now, and it will not work on Sun. Then I rename the control on the Sun and it works again. I save, exit LabVIEW, and then restart � the event no longer fires (it stops working), until I change the control name (which makes it work again)... wash, rinse, and repeat.

Weird
!?!?

It's nice (or maybe not so nice) to know that it's not just me. Perhaps i need to make a support incident. I didn't because it is not repeatable, by copying my control and event structure to a new VI. The problem goes away.

-Jim
Message 3 of 15
(3,402 Views)
I have attached some code that has the incorrect
behavior. I have found that the cluster will not act
correctly if you copy and paste it onto the VI where
you want to capture the event. Also, if you
disconnect it from the type def. after that it will
work correctly.

Naveen
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,401 Views)
This is no solution, but I found some interesting behavior that gets it to work correctly. If you disconnect it from the type def, it will work. Then, if you replace that control (that you disconnected) with the type def again, it responsds to the mouse down event in the gray area. Let me know if you get the same behavior.
J.R. Allen
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,402 Views)
It works the same way over here.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,403 Views)
There seems to be an issue with cutting and pasting of typedefs.

I strongly recommend to everyone that instead of cutting and pasting a typedef, that you retrieve the typedef manually and place it where needed.

I noticed this issue first when I tried to create constants from typedefs on another terminal of, say, a comparison function. I have also seen "interesting" behavior when pasting typedefs onto the front panel.

Though this may be a bug, or a limitation, I strongly recommend ALWAYS manually placing tyedefs by opening and retrieving them. You can even do this on the diagram.
Message 7 of 15
(3,403 Views)
Usually this isn't a problem. But, for the program that I am working on I was going to have a large number of copies of these type defs. It wouldn't have been impossible to do, but it would have been very tedious to have to add each one individually. In the future I will remember that copy and paste is going to raise issues, though.

Thanks,
Naveen
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,403 Views)

Has anybody found another way to fix this?  I have the same problem.  I have a picture in a strict type def. cluster and cannot fire an event on a "mouse down".  Funny thing is, it still fires on "mouse move" and "mouse leave" events.  I have tried applying the fixes in this thread but it doesnt work for meSmiley Sad

Message Edited by NahoY on 05-02-2006 04:53 PM

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(3,199 Views)
anyone?!
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(3,183 Views)