From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capturing data and writing to text in parallel process

Hey Everyone,

I haven't dealt with parallel processing in labview, so hopefully someone can help me out. Here is the what I am working on:

I need to read data from TCP Read and write that data into text file. As the data reading is continuous, I was thinking about doing it in parallel processes. Each data packet will be 20kB.

Here is what I was thinking to do:

So the first process will read the data from TCP Read and write to buffer 1. It will write the complete 20kB of data and send a signal to second process to get the data from buffer 1. Second process will then take the data from buffer 1 and write to text file. In the meantime, the first process can write the data to buffer 2 while process 2 is still using the buffer one.

I will appreciate any help implementing this or any documents I can refer to get started. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,141 Views)

Producer/Consumer

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,131 Views)

Why don't you just read 20kB packets from the TCP Read and write them to a file?   The TCP Read already has a parallel process working behind the scenes to fill the buffer from which you read, so further "parallel processing" seems redundant.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,095 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a shot. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,046 Views)

I end up loosing some data after few frames. Thats why i thought maybe parallel processing would be better

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,044 Views)

@manny09 wrote:

I end up loosing some data after few frames. Thats why i thought maybe parallel processing would be better

Better to diagnose your problem then guess.  Figure out why your losing data.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,019 Views)

Thanks for the reply everyone. I dont loose data after I included delay in receiving each frame. But there is a different problem now. I end up getting more data as somehow the data from some samples add addition bytes of carriage return and linefeed which I don't want to read. I am suspecting it has something to do with TCP Read subVI. 

Here is the complete story: 

I have CAN-Ethernet Gateway that sends the data to TCP. Each data sample is 8 bytes, but the gateway adds another 26 bytes of headers to it. When I read using TCP Read, it reads all 34 bytes most of the time (which is correct) but sometimes it also adds 2 bytes of carriage return and linefeed (I dont want to record that). I am not sure why I read those 2 extra bytes with some samples. 
Please let me know if it doesnt make sense.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,007 Views)

You should post some code if you want to get better help in debugging your issues.   I would guess from your mention of a "delay" that you are just grabbing whatever has arrived at a particular time, rather than using a method of waiting for the whole message.  No TCP code should ever require a delay.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,988 Views)