From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant see USB2.0 camera in NIMAX

I'm trying to debug some old Labview code and get it running on a modern system. The core issue is that Labview is unable to see the USB 2.0 CMOS camera (Thorlabs DCC1545M) that I'm using. I have the native Thorlabs drivers installed and their native app works. But I can't get Labview/NI Max to recognize it all. 

In Windows Device Manager, the only "cameras" that appear are built-in webcams. The DCC1545M camera appears but only under the USB listing. Again on NIMAX, the webcam appears but nothing for the Thorlabs camera. 

Anyone know what this could be?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,265 Views)

That doesn't sound like it is a standard Windows USB webcam but rather a proprietary USB camera protocol. The Thorlabs app uses its own proprietary drivers to access this camera.

NI IMAQdx only can see cameras that are either standard Windows cameras or those with USB3 or GigE interface supporting the Genicam protocol standard.

So either you are missing some LabVIEW driver to access the proprietary USB driver from Thorlabs or they somehow installed on the old computer a driver for the camera that turned the proprietary camera protocol into a standard Windows Webcam device. In both cases you have to track down that piece of software somehow.

Maybe you need to look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_DE-AyI174 It might show you something you are missing on your computer.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,253 Views)

Agreed, it is the Thorlabs camera driver which seems to work properly standalone, just not with labview. 

My issue is that if I follow what's shown in that video exactly, it does not work, as the example VIs that they show do not work. The only thing that makes sense to me at this point is a .NET compatibility issue, since when I open the file I get an error that it was expect version 2.0.0.0 but actually loaded 4.0.0.0. I've tried the suggestions to force LV to load a earlier .NET version with a config file, but they do not work. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,208 Views)

Reposted a link from a poster who did sort of mention something relevant, but also happened to add a white font on white background spam link in his message.

See this https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P8f3SAC&l=en-IN

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,145 Views)