LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant read serial port from Erickson power instrument.

Im trying to read data from my power instrument(usb to rs232). But I cant understand how to convert the data I receive to readable data.

I read the manual for the instrument but I cant understand how to convert the data in labview. Please help.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,932 Views)

1.  It does not look like you are sending the command properly.  The command needs to be 8 bytes long.  You are missing the 4 data bytes and the Carriage Return.  Digging more into the document, it states that the DS query should have 0 for the data bytes of the command.  If you change the display mode for your string constant to "\ Codes", you can easily set the data bytes to 0 (use \00 for each byte) and add the Carriage Return (\r).

2. After sending the command, you need to read 1 byte to reach the ACK.

3. The description for how to interpret the data starts on page 21 of your manual.  It gets a little complicated and I don't have time to go through it all myself.  But you can use Status Byte 3 to get your range and apply the data bytes (count) and the max value of the range to the equation on page 21 to get your reading.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,897 Views)

I think it's pretty awesome that the OP uploaded both the VI and the manual.  Made life much easier for everyone.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,871 Views)

Thanks for the respons but the Erickson pm4 blew up for some reason when I turned it off and on. Luckely we had a PM5 which VDI (Virginia Diodes) had a ready made program for, I can now measuere power output. But thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,866 Views)