From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot open VISA session for Hameg HM8112-3

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi

I have a Hameg multimeter connected to my computer via GPIB.  Windows can detect the port and declares that it is functioning properly.  However when I open NI MAX it detects the port but cannot communicate with the instrument.  It states that it was not able to successfully open a VISA session to the device.  When I click 'Open VISA Test Panel' it gives the following error:

Error opening resource:
ASRL10::INSTR

VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0011) Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system.

I have downloaded the drivers for the Hameg but I assume that I am missing something.  Has anyone encountered this before with a GPIB connection?

Thanks for your time.

April

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(4,474 Views)

Hi April,

"ASRL 10" is not a proper GPIB VISA reference! You should try something like "GPIB0::10".

When you device is connected by GPIB you should see it in MAX in the GPIB device tree. Please show a screenshot of MAX!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(4,472 Views)
Your VISA session is trying to connect to a serial port. Did you right click on the GPIB listing and select Scan for Instruments? Are you using an NI GPIB controller? Is the instrument configured for GPIB? Please attach an image of MAX after doing the scan.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(4,468 Views)

Hi GerdW,

In that case, NI MAX is not detecting the port.  I have not modified the port name.  I've attached a screenshot below.

Regards

April

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(4,463 Views)
Originally, you said MAX detected it but obviously it doesn't. I'll repeat my unanswered question. Is it an NI controller? If so, did you install NI-488?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,456 Views)

No it is not a controller.  The device is connected directly to an Agilent PCIe card with a GPIB connection.  I have NI-488 installed.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,449 Views)

Hi April,

so you installed hardware driver for NI hardware, but you use Agilent hardware. Have you thought about that situation?

Agilent usually comes with a special driver to use their hardware with NI LabVIEW. And usually they also provide a manual describing how to install their hard- and software. Did you read that?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,441 Views)

Hi GerdW,

I have installed the Agilent hardware as per the manual.  The screenshot below shows that the card is working.  Are you suggesting that there could be another Agilent driver that integrates the card with LabView?

Regards

April

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(4,436 Views)
And you need to study a lot on GPIB. The agilent card is a GPIB CONTROLLER!

In the future, think about the important details that should be included in a first post.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(4,433 Views)

I am not a computer science expert!  I merely need to automate some measurements.  

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(4,422 Views)