From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot download/install the Glyphs and Icon Templates (supposedly) at ni.com

Solved!
Go to solution

I admit, I was lazy.  I wanted a little VI that generated a "Stop" signal, but needed to be tied to the Error Line.  "Fine", I said, I'll make a half-height Icon with a little red Stop Sign inside it.  Hmm, don't want to fiddle with creating a small red Octagon, I bet there's one in the NI Icon Library.  Oops, haven't downloaded it in this LabVIEW Install, but remember it from the past.  I even remember how to do it from the Icon Editor.

Except it doesn't work.  A Web search brings up a helpful (??) link, https://www.ni.com/docs/en-US/bundle/labview/page/lvhowto/synchronizing_icon_library.html , with the date of 7 July 2022, so it should work.  Except it is devoid of content!  Here's Step 1:  "From the Icon Library at ni.com, download the Icon_Library.zip file to an easily accessible location".  Now, "Icon Library at ni.com" is in a slightly different font, but not clickable, and no URL is provided!  And I'm supposed to be a "Champion of NI" (which means I've been around for a while, and have tried to be Helpful to Others), so I shouldn't have to ask such "newbie" questions ...

Unfortunately, with CoVID, I'm far away from some of my older machines where I know I've managed to do such downloads (probably when I was running LabVIEW 2016 ...).  Back to the pixelated drawing board ...

Bob (Frustrated) Schor

P.S. -- I must say, it is nice that NI has spent time putting up a series of Web pages that purport to provide insight and help for the complexities that can exist in LabVIEW.  Unfortunately, it is often "too little" and "to the wrong audience" (explaining things to NI "insiders" who understand the extremely terse descriptions, certainly not to users hunting for answers and insight).

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,153 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

Except it is devoid of content! 

Where "devoid of content" means there are words present, but they do not help. IE "talks a lot but says nothing"

I feel your pain. I ran into the same issue with a disconnected VLM. The help says you can use a temporary network license...

"The temporary network license is valid for 14 days from the first time the license is used. During this time, the client's software runs but displays a warning message each time the client launches the product."

As seen here: https://www.ni.com/docs/en-US/bundle/volume-license-manager/page/nivlm/ref_templic.html

This is either out-of-date or plain wrong.

---------------------------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
There are two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,123 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

P.S. -- I must say, it is nice that NI has spent time putting up a series of Web pages that purport to provide insight and help for the complexities that can exist in LabVIEW.  Unfortunately, it is often "too little" and "to the wrong audience" (explaining things to NI "insiders" who understand the extremely terse descriptions, certainly not to users hunting for answers and insight).

Those pages are mostly just the Help files that ship with LabVIEW, although apparently not including all hyperlinks. For example, the clickable "Icon Library" text on the online version of this page is... well, not.

JimB_0-1660860594765.png

That link in the actual help files leads to this page, which does appear to have the downloads.

Message 3 of 6
(1,117 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bob_Schor

Thanks to @JimB, here are the links to zip and xml

http://www.ni.com/zip/idnet/library/us/Icon_Library.zip

http://www.ni.com/swf/iconlib/icons_filtered.xml

Also attached to this post

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Download All
Message 4 of 6
(1,077 Views)

Ha, ha, ha!  A marvelous parody of NI writing, @JimB.  Lots of words (that I've seen before, thank you) and things that seem to be links (because they show underlines), but instead of meaningful URLs that take me someplace interesting, they go either nowhere or "I-don't-know-where".

Maybe someone from NI who knows where (or even "if") these Icons and Glyphs exist, can post their location, or put them someplace we can find them.  Better yet, fix the problem and correct the Documentation!.  Please.

Bob Schor

Message 5 of 6
(1,074 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

Ha, ha, ha!  A marvelous parody of NI writing, @JimB. 

It wasn't intended to be. Those links work fine on my laptop, desktop, and phone. (And apparently for Santhosh as well.)

Where does this lead when you click it?

It's the same URL I linked before, which should lead to this page that contains those downloads:

JimB_0-1660922682288.png

Further down:

JimB_1-1660922949310.png

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,006 Views)