From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot activate Labview 2020SP1 community edition for Linux

Hi All,

I installed Labview 2020SP1 community edition on Ubuntu 18.04 but I cannot activate it.

When I start Labview, it asks for activation and I clicked the activate button. It opened my NI login page and I logged in

charlesm1_1-1610312060744.png

but the activation failed.

charlesm1_0-1610311998222.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(4,529 Views)

Hi, I am having the same problem, have you been able to solve it?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(4,456 Views)

No, the problem hasn't been resolved yet.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(4,388 Views)

I am having the same issues. Did anyone figure this out?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(4,370 Views)

I've found I can activate 2020 community fine but 2020 SP1 community will not activate on windows (both iso install and as a package upgrade). On windows the only thing that work has been to role back to 2020 non sp1.  Reading other threads there seems to be a common problem with 2020 sp1 activations; but I'm not sure if everyone is having the problem, or only certain NI accounts.  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(4,341 Views)

The same problem with activation on Ubuntu 18.04. Moreover, there is no LV CE 2020 for Linux, only 2020 SP1.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(4,229 Views)

Hi guys, I ran into the same issue when trying to run LV CE 2020SP1 on Fedora 33 (using Virtual Machine). After the installation LabVIEW was unable to open as it retuened error: "LabVIEW caught fatal signal. Received SIGSEGV". Luckily changing the config file helped as suggested in this forum post: https://forums.ni.com/t5/Multifunction-DAQ/labview-caught-fatal-signal-10-0-Received-SIGSEGV/m-p/280....

Later on, I was unable to activate the software, because each time I clicked on the Active button in the window that popped up, the Firefox launched in the background, but it never showed the activation NI page.

After many hours struggled, I did the following:

• uninstalled previously installed LV CE 2020sp1,
  • created a new NI account (to which I had no assigned licenses),
  • downloaded LV CE 2020SP1 again using the new account,
  • clicked the Active button (the forever-loading Firefox case occured again, but I killed the proccess using kill -9 $(ps -x | grep firefox)  command and in the response to this command I got the exact link to auth.ni.com page which firefox unsuccessfully tried to load),
  • using the obtained link from terminal window I enetered the page address manually in Firefox and FINALLY I was able to activate the software. :)) [I also had to delete the last backslash from the link I obtained - not sure if it was added by the console while mering the kill response or LV tried to access unproper link].

Hope someone may find it helpful!

Message 7 of 19
(4,177 Views)

Hi,

has anyone found a fix? I have the same problem.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(4,132 Views)

Exact same problem as OP on ubuntu 20.04.

Still couldnt find a fix. in this thread here a user says he solved a similar (though not the same) problem by changing his internet connection protocol from IPv6 to IPv4 which for some reason block the activation. This thread is contain mostly (or solely) windows user, so i wonder if it is helful for us.

I will update if I find a fix, please do too if any of you find it.

Edit:

I found this on google - https://askubuntu.com/questions/1315375/how-to-install-labview-community-linux.

This guy claim to have had the same problem, but he was able to bypass it somehow.

I will try, but im not a linux OS genius so i might get stuck somewhere you wont.

If you succeed please inform us and stay to help 😆

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(3,855 Views)

@Aqua- wrote:

Exact same problem as OP on ubuntu 20.04.

Still couldnt find a fix. in this thread here a user says he solved a similar (though not the same) problem by changing his internet connection protocol from IPv6 to IPv4 which for some reason block the activation. This thread is contain mostly (or solely) windows user, so i wonder if it is helful for us.

I will update if I find a fix, please do too if any of you find it.

Edit:

I found this on google - https://askubuntu.com/questions/1315375/how-to-install-labview-community-linux.

This guy claim to have had the same problem, but he was able to bypass it somehow.

I will try, but im not a linux OS genius so i might get stuck somewhere you wont.

If you succeed please inform us and stay to help 😆

A second edit:

It worked for me!!!

Before diving into it i suggest you try the end of the answer before uninstalling and going through all the trouble. I only realized it after i followed the whole process, but maybe the fix is much easier:

First method - one I suspect work, but not quite sure. do give feedback:

1) go to the

/usr/local/natinst/LabVIEW-2020-64

using the GUI and check if there are 2 files there: labviewcommunity, labviewprofull

2) if labviewprofull is there, open the terminal (usually Ctrl+Alt+T) and write:

./labviewprofull

to execute the program.

3) Wait for a long while to see if it opens (may take 30-60 sec).

4) If LabVIEW starts and you can use it great! follow the answer's instructions of creating a desktop/app launcher shortcut for this file.

Second method that worked for me (credit to the link in my previous post):

If the file labviewfullpro is nowhere to be found in the directory i specified then you need to follow the answer. I will give some tip on top of what been said in the thread (i cant comment there as i dont have enough reputation points...):

1) Extract the .iso file + install alien as first answer suggest.

The answer depends on changing all .rpm files to .deb files, but an error may occure when trying to convert several files in this folder so a work around need to be done (credit to @viewlab who commented in the same thread)

2) Enter the folder using the GUI, right click to open menu and choose "open in terminal" or open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and cd to the folder extrected from the .iso (i.e. the parent folder named lv2020SP1community-linux):

cd ~/Downloads/lv2020SP1community-linux

3) Write or paste in your terminal (Ctrl+Shift+V) the following command to convert all .rpm files to .tgz:

sudo alien -ct *.rpm --scripts

4) Write or paste in your terminal (Ctrl+Shift+V) the following command to convert all .tgz files to .deb:

sudo alien -c *.tgz --scripts

5) Install all .deb files as the original answer suggest:

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Now the tricky part that the answer describe: some files are missing so we need to download them manually from: https://forums.ni.com/ni/attachments/ni/140/82429/1/libniPythonInterface.tar.gz

and then copy them to the correct directory on our computer where the LabVIEW is installed. The file you are downloading contains the folder architecture so you'll know where you need to drop the files on your computer.

6) Download the file from the link above and extract the .tar.gz file.

7) In the terminal write:

sudo cp ~/Downloads/libniPythonInterface/usr/local/lib64/libniPythonInterface.so /usr/local/lib64

sudo cp ~/Downloads/libniPythonInterface/usr/local/lib64/libniPythonInterface.so.1 /usr/local/lib64

sudo cp ~/Downloads/libniPythonInterface/usr/local/lib64/libniPythonInterface.so.3.0.0 /usr/local/lib64

sudo cp ~/Downloads/libniPythonInterface/usr/local/natinst/niPythonInterface/lib64/libniPythonInterface.so.3.0.0 /usr/local/natinst/niPythonInterface/lib64

*NOTE that the ~/Downloads might not work and you will have to specify the complete pate as /home/your-user-name/Downloads/...

**NOTE also that you can usually copy all files in the same folder in one command, but i was prompt with an error and moving one by one fixed it.

😎 Now that all the files are in the correct place you can go to the 

/usr/local/natinst/LabVIEW-2020-64

directory using your GUI, right click --> open in terminal then write in your terminal:

./labviewprofull

to execute the file.

9) Wait for a long while to see if it opens (may take 30-60 sec).

10) If LabVIEW starts and you can use it great! follow the answer's instructions of creating a desktop/app launcher shortcut for this file:

"To create a desktop file in order to open LabView from your desktop, you can create an empty file in the text editor, and put in this:"

Type=Application Terminal=false Exec=env
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/natinst/LabVIEW-2020-64
/usr/local/natinst/LabVIEW-2020-64/labviewprofull
Icon=/usr/local/natinst/LabVIEW-2020-64/etc/desktop/icons/labview.png

Please share which method worked for you so people will know how to get this program running, after all it's all about the community here 😁

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(3,841 Views)