LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you use DSP VI's in realtime with a standard sound card?

In some of the example i have seen mention of a NI speedy 33 card that can be used with the DSP vis to carry out realtime chnages to sound, i cant think of a reason why not but is it possible to do this by outputting the realtime data to a normal soundcard?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,405 Views)
Hi ATE Man,

I think your referring to the tutorial below

If this is the case, then you could implement a similar system using LabVIEW under Windows. There are much the same functions under LabVIEW for Windows for manipulating the signal as shown in the tutorial, and there are sound input and output functions available under the 'Graphics and Sound' palette. Whether or not this will be able to show 'realtime' changes to sound will depend on the speed of your PC. There is an example in the Example Finder in LabVIEW 'Simultaneous Sound IO' which will give you an idea of how to read in sound from a microphone and play it back through the speakers, there shouldn't be too much work in adding some signal manipulation to this.

I hope this helps, if you have any questions, then please let me know

Regards

Hannah
NIUK & Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,396 Views)

Hannah

Originally i wasnt sure whether dedicated hardware DSP's was the only way this could be done. Having used various software synthesizers and audio tools I knew that it was already possible to carry out DSP natively e.g using the PC's CPU rather than having to use dedicated hardware, provided the PC is powerful enough.

I will try what you suggest and post back.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,392 Views)