LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you read and/or change the active code page of windows using LabVIEW?

Hello All,

I'm developing an application to be used in the United States and China.

My intention is to read in all my UI Captions from a text file with Unicode encoding (UTF-8) so that Chinese characters can be used.

My question is, can I check the current code page that LabVIEW is using in any other way than checking for a Byte Order Mark?

And beyond that, can I change the current code page that LabVIEW is using to read/write files?

I am using LabVIEW 2011.

Regards,

Rob Afton

GHSP

Electrical Engineering Intern - Test Lab

aftonr@ghsp.com

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,131 Views)

Hi Rob,

I've been looking in to some character encoding resources for LabVIEW and I found a few things. I'm not sure if any of it will be directly applicable to what you're doing, but they may provide some insights.

Document Encoding Property (accessible from a Property Node, only works for certain document refnums such as XML)

Discussion Forum: Undocumented Function "Text to UTF-8" (a couple years old, more related to converting between encoding standards)

Tim W.

Applications Engineering

National Instruments

http://www.ni.com/support 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,104 Views)

Thanks for the resources guys, but it turns out my problem fixed itself.

When I ran my program on a laptop from China, LabVIEW read/wrote the initialization file in the default encoding of the computer allowing it to display the Chinese characters.

The only downside to this was that I could not test this on my computer with default 1252 code page.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,059 Views)