LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you list in bullet points the pros and cons to Labview and LabWindows/CVI? Which one is better for test automation?

Can you possibly use the message body instead of trying to cram everything into the subject line?

Either one is suitable for test automation. What do you have experience with?

Message 2 of 9
(3,585 Views)
You can also put in a little effort and actually do a search, as this question has been covered many times over the years.
Message 3 of 9
(3,560 Views)

I have experience with LabWindows/CVI and prefer looking at the code vs. graphical representations of the code, but there are other things to consider ...

I am having a test stand built, which will have the capability to test various circuit boards.  The following equipment will be used to test these boards:  switching, oscilloscope, D/A, mux relays, function generators, power supplies, electronic loads.  Now, cost and resources must be weighed into my decision.  All the potential suppliers that I talked to say that they can do CVI, but all our most of their employees have experience with LabView.  I am considering LabView for those reasons (cost and resources).  Is there anything LabView can't do over CVI? 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,559 Views)
I have but wanted to hear what others had to say.  In hindsight, I shouldn't have even bothered.  I expected helpful advice, not a smart ass.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,551 Views)

There are some differences in what addons/toolkits are available. If you have a list of instruments, you could look to see what drivers already exist.

I use TestStand to control our test stations and the great thing about TestStand is that you can freely mix LabVIEW code with CVI code, with VB code, with C++ code, etc. so you can choose whatever language is the most appropriate.

Message 6 of 9
(3,545 Views)

Papi wrote:
I have but wanted to hear what others had to say.  In hindsight, I shouldn't have even bothered.  I expected helpful advice, not a smart ass.

I did provide helpful advice by providing a link to a search result on such a vague question.

And calling people a "smart ass" is a sure way of showing your level of professionalism and making sure you don't get any more help, at least from me.

Message 7 of 9
(3,535 Views)

I'm big fan of LV and would go nowhere without it, but as you're used to text based programming and especially CVI, I see nothing wrong with sticking to it. You would need to abandon a lot of your coding practices to embrace data flow (have a look at the breakpoint forum in the thread of 'why local variables are bad').

On the driver side, most of the drivers I got LV-ready where wrappers of dll's or VISA calls. And poorly written by LV standards (missing or wrong error handling, not functional because of wrong dealing with pointer, or simply nasty connector panes). Most of the time I wrapp them up or even rewrite them on my own.

If you have both licenses available, maybe you might try to write a smaller Test in LV to experience graphical programming. Then you can choose on your own to continue with LV or even rewrite that code in CVI.

Felix

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,482 Views)

We used to have a Certified CVI instructor on staff. He would do estimates for projects using LV or CVI. it was easy. He would estimate what it would take in LV then double it to get the CVI estimate.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 9 of 9
(3,451 Views)