From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you do Digital In or Out on the same port (byte) as PFI timing?

I'm using an M series board with three digital ports.  Port 0 is only for DIO, ports 1 and 2 can be used for DIO or PFI (e.g. clocking, triggering).  My question is:  can I do both DIO and PFI functions on any one port.  For example, on Port 1, I would like to use bits 0 to 6 as Digital Inputs and have an external clock signal go into bit 7 as a clock for Analog Out.  Can the port be mixed like this?

Thanks,
   Dave
-------------------------------------------------------------
David Thomson Original Code Consulting
www.originalcode.com
National Instruments Alliance Program Member
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified Embedded Systems Developer
-------------------------------------------------------------
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,236 Views)

Dave,

The DIO lines on any DAQ device that uses the DAQ-STC ASIC can be configured on a per line basis, so using PFI and DIO lines on the same port will work just fine. 

You can run a quick test on this using the "Gen Dig Pulse.vi" example (found in the NI Example Finder under Browse -> Hardware Input and Output -> DAQmx -> Generate Digital Pulses).  You should be able to generate a pulse on one of the PFI lines on the board, then read that pulse back in on one of the DIO lines of that port using an external connection.

-Justin

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,220 Views)