From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you avoid recompiling the VI file every time you make a small change?

We have a fairly large VI that takes around an hour to compile and we would like to make small changes without recompiling everytime we go to run the program.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,911 Views)

Is it one VI or many?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,907 Views)

If this is one huge VI then you should really consider breaking it down and using subVIs. I have worked on some very large, complex applications and rarely ever notice that it has recompiled. I suspect that what you are doing is the equivalent to a C program where the entire program is in main (). Regardless of the language it is never a good idea to write your code this way. LabVIEW is no exception.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,902 Views)

When you say compile. do you mean "build"?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,870 Views)

Wow! I'd love to see a vi that takes an hour to compile! Or even build for that matter.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,833 Views)

@WayneS1324 wrote:

Wow! I'd love to see a vi that takes an hour to compile! Or even build for that matter.

I can help you with that! Smiley Wink

Search for my Mouse Tendon rendered in a 3d graph.

Run it, set the current as the default, hit ctrl-s, and go out and play catch with the grandkids. It will still be saving when you get back.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 6 of 10
(2,826 Views)

Kettering,

What is the nature of your "Small changes"? 

Are these actual acutal "functional" code changes or are they changes to constants or variables?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,818 Views)

Be more specific Ben when you say I can help you with that, is there a fix to the problem, or just a reply to the poster that wants to see a long compile?  Mouse Tendon in 3D, sounds like Disney's attempt at a horror movie.

As asked before, when you say compile are you refering to the time between clicking the run button and when it starts running, or the time "building" an exe? If it is the former, any change that causes an asterix * to show up in the title bar will cause a recompile, as it changes the underlying code. LabVIEW, even in the development, editing mode, runs compiled code when it runs.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,807 Views)

Just to clearify some things since i am not sure if you are asking the question in the correct way:

Terminology:

Compile: To convert source code into machine code which can be executed by a runtime engine.

There have been quite some changes to LV on how it compiles code, but with newer LV (2009/2010), the code is compiled when pressing the Run button. This is required since otherwise the execution of the code would not include any changes you have done to it previously (it would simply run the last compiled state of the code). There is no way that you suppress this compilation if you have made changes to the code.

When working with LV 2010, there are two abstraction layers included during the build process. This results in longer compile times, but the abstraction layers do include optimization algorithms which, in average, will improve performance by about 20% in comparison to 2009.

As already assumed by replies here, you should not mix "compile" with "building an executable". From your description, i tend to believe that you use "compile" correctly, but it is not really clear.....

As suggested by some replies, if you have a single large VI taking hours to compile (note: i am not talking about building an executable here!0, your VI is WAY TO BIG. Split it up, use subVIs. Remove redundancies in your code to eliminate unecessary compilation time.

hope this helps,

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 9 of 10
(2,799 Views)

Putnam,

I was replying to Wayne who stated he wanted to see a VI that took an hour to compile.

The "Mouse Tendon" was a thread where a person had sample dat representing slices through a sample of a mouse tendon. The code I posted in that thread renders the slices in a 3d graph so that you can see into the tendon.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,786 Views)