From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we implement lv random generator in hardware???

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi ni

I have been use the lv random in my project and now I want to implement my project in hardware

can I implement this  LV random generator in hardware ???

If not then why ?????

Please I need some detail if you can

best regards

m.s

hi ?Q>

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,637 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mangood

The random number function is not available on FPGA. Good random number generation algorithms are complex. I would guess that the LabVIEW function calls one or more functions in the operating system that aren't available on FPGA. Also the random number output is a floating point, which was not supported on FPGA until recently (and I don't know if it's fully supported now, I haven't tried yet).

Message 2 of 8
(2,603 Views)

Yes.  There is a Random number generator for the FPGA.  It is a Galois generator (check out Galois life history for entertainment.  He died way too young and we lost a lot of mathematics!).

Check out the Community page

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-1143

I have used this successfully.

LabVIEW ChampionLabVIEW Channel Wires

Message 3 of 8
(2,599 Views)

thank you kuds for you

but i read this  ."" The algorithm is based on the use of multiple multiplicative congruential generators.""" about this generator

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/9D0878A2A596A3DE86256C29007A6B4A?OpenDocument

what the mean by  "" multiplicative congruential generators!!!!!"""

did any one have a clear information>>>??? 

hi ?Q>

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,572 Views)

hi ?Q>

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,572 Views)

It depends if you really care about the internals of the random number generator.  There is a whole field studying pseudo random number generation.   Note these are not truly random since they are generated by an algorithm.  The algorithm typically used is add the last integer to a large integer and then multiply by another large integer given overflows and dropping the high bits you get a fairly random number.  Chosing the two large integers is a bit tricky to make sure that the numbers won't loop.  You want it to cycle through all 2^N combinations.  There are refinements that involve the last N random numbers instead of just the last.

The Galois generator is a shift and xor operation IIRC and is easier to implement in a FPGA.  If you are really really interested you can read the original articles on the pseudo random number generators since they are documented.

Note that in the FPGA you get a value from 0 to 65535 and not a floating point number from 0 to 1.0.

Message 6 of 8
(2,561 Views)

@sth wrote:

It depends if you really care about the internals of the random number generator.  There is a whole field studying pseudo random number generation.   Note these are not truly random since they are generated by an algorithm.  The algorithm typically used is add the last integer to a large integer and then multiply by another large integer given overflows and dropping the high bits you get a fairly random number.  Chosing the two large integers is a bit tricky to make sure that the numbers won't loop

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is you answer is explain to these words """congruential generators!!!!!""

hi ?Q>

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,553 Views)

@mangood wrote:

is you answer is explain to these words """congruential generators!!!!!""

Ah, so it is the word "congruential" that is bothering you.  This is because like all pseudo-random-number-generators (PRNG) they have defects.  There are better ones and the low order bits of this one have a serial correlation.  In fact there is some theorem that if you take the random numbers as coordinates in space, the points will lie on a hyperplane of that space.

Look up "conguential multiplicative pseudo-random number generators" and you will find some links on wikipedia and probably wolfram.  This is why they are not good for cryptographic applications.  I believe that Mersenne twisters are the best for statistically good generators.

To get back to the original problem, the Galois PRNG is not cryptographically good since there is a definite pattern in the bits.  Different than multiplicative generators but it is there.  But it is a fine generator for dithering or signal processing.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,544 Views)