From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we click a guage on the front panel and bring up a sub-window?

I know I can do it with a on/off control on the front panel, but I don't know whether we can click other kind of controls such as a guage to bring up a sub-window. This is for input some settings about this control. Thanks to any interest and response.

Guangde
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,946 Views)
Easiest way is to place a transparent button over the gage, per the attached.  Have the button click bring up the sub-vi.

Matt
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,942 Views)

Matt, thank you for you reply. It works very well and I'll use it this way. I'm happy I posted this question, because I have been thinking about whether we can have a transparent control but I searched the properties and couldn't find anything. So I have always though we can not do it. Can you let me know how we can set a control transparent?

Best regards

Guangde

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,934 Views)
Use the Classic Flat Square button and color both states transparent - the box with the "T" in it in the color picker dialog box.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,927 Views)

Mike, thank you for your help. I can not try it at home because I have LabView 7.1 installed in my home computer, it doesn't have the classic controls. Maybe I couldn't find it, let me know if I have it, otherwise I will have to wait until Monday to try it at work. I don't know whether we can just set the property to transparent, it should available but I could not find it. Thank you again for your help, let me know if we have some other way to make a control transparent.

Best regards,

Guangde

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,922 Views)
Actually, every version of LV since 4 or 5 have had the "Classic" Controls. Also you can color any rectangular boolean control
so it is all transparent, the classic flat one is just easier...

Mike...

Message Edited by mikeporter on 06-02-2007 03:27 PM

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,919 Views)
I'll thank everyone who responded to my question. Finally I found the T on the color panel. National Instruments should make it more clear. I have tried to see whether I can make a transparent color but just didn't notice the T there. Again, I'll thank everyone for help.

Guangde
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,905 Views)

guangdew1 wrote:

I know I can do it with a on/off control on the front panel, but I don't know whether we can click other kind of controls such as a guage to bring up a sub-window. This is for input some settings about this control.

As the title of the Question goes, there is no need to place a button & make it transparent n all those kinda things...

You can simply achieve it thro' the Gauge's Mouse Down event. Still if you want to discard the Rt Click on the Gauge, you can achieve it thro' the Mouse Down? event of the Gauge.

Please see the attached Vi for more clarity. Smiley Wink

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
Message 8 of 12
(3,872 Views)
Dear Partha, thank you for your response. I'm not familiar with the Event Structure so I took some time studying the example you posted. I have a few questions regarding using the Event Structure in my application.

1. What is the purpose of the ""Guage": Mouse Down?" case? Can you explain it to me?
2. I noticed that the While Loop is waiting for an event to happen, then the loop will run into next cycle. My application updates data every second, so if I put in a Event Structure, it will keep on waiting for an event to happen. My question is, is there a way to let the Event Structure act when there is an event but goes through if nothing is happening?

Again, thank you for your help and best regards,

Guangde
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,830 Views)

@guangdew1 wrote:
Dear Partha, thank you for your response. I'm not familiar with the Event Structure so I took some time studying the example you posted. I have a few questions regarding using the Event Structure in my application.

1. What is the purpose of the ""Guage": Mouse Down?" case? Can you explain it to me?
2. I noticed that the While Loop is waiting for an event to happen, then the loop will run into next cycle. My application updates data every second, so if I put in a Event Structure, it will keep on waiting for an event to happen. My question is, is there a way to let the Event Structure act when there is an event but goes through if nothing is happening?

Again, thank you for your help and best regards,

Guangde

1. "Mouse Down?" is a filter event. For that matter, all events with the "?" symbol are Filter events. Events without it are Notifier events. What I ve done is to eliminate the pop-up of sub-window on the Rt Click of the mouse. Thats why I poll for the Rt button [whose value is 2] & discard it when it happens.

2. I understand that you want to update your data each n every second; that means you ve to wire a very small value like 1ms to the time-out terminal on the top-left corner of the Event Structure so that your acquisition code sits inside the Timeout case & does its operarion. This way, the ES ll keep on waiting for an event to hapen, but does the data updation if nothing is happening.

To know more of the Event Structures, please see the links below.

http://zone.ni.com:80/reference/en-XX/help/371361B-01/lvconcepts/using_events_in_labview/

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361B-01/lvhowto/caveatsrecmndtnsevnts/

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3331

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
Message 10 of 12
(3,785 Views)