From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the excutables created by Labview Windows to be used directly on a Linux system?

Hello,

We have a Windows LabView development system and I created stand alone excutables so I can install them on other PCs. Now, we want to do an installation on a PC that runs Linux. Can we do that directly? Or what is the options. Thanks

Rgds,

Harry

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,756 Views)

This document contains the LabVIEW 2010 Run-Time Engine. This Run-Time Engine must be installed on any Linux system where you plan to run applications that you build with the LabVIEW Application Builder. Version 2010 of the Run-Time Engine may only be used to run executables or view LabVIEW Remote Panels that were built with LabVIEW 2010.

Additionally, the Run-Time Engine allows your browser to display VIs that are embedded in Web pages. For supported web browsers, please refer to the section in the LabVIEW User Manual entitled Networking in LabVIEW»Viewing and Controlling Front Panels Remotely.

Older versions of Run-Time Engine
To run applications built with an older version of LabVIEW you will need the corresponding run-time engine installed. You can have multiple run-time engines installed at the same time. See the All Versions list of Run-Time Engines to download an older run-time engine.

link

Good luck 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,755 Views)

I doubt a program compiled in Windows will work natively in Linux.

You might have limited success running it under Wine. http://www.winehq.org/

Worst case you install Virtual Box http://www.virtualbox.org/ and run Windows in a VM on your Linux box

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,748 Views)

Thanks for your reply Patrick!

Just to make sure I understand this correctly. I need to install this on the Linux PC. Then the excutable file that is created by Windows application builder will be able to run on the Linux machine?

So when I create the installer on Window, do I just include all sources (e.g. Run-time engine, DAQmx engine, etc) as the usural way when creating an exe for Windows PC?

Thanks again!

Harry

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,740 Views)

@Harry.W wrote:
Just to make sure I understand this correctly. I need to install this on the Linux PC. Then the excutable file that is created by Windows application builder will be able to run on the Linux machine?

No. Binaries created in one operating system will not work on another operating system. I have no idea why Patrick pointed you to the Linux Run-Time Engine, as it will do you absolutely no good.

Your question has been asked many times before. Did you try a search? If you need a Linux version then you need to buy the Linux Development Environment and compile the application on a Linux machine. Or pay someone else to do it for you. Or, you can run the binary in an emulation environment, as suggested in the previous response. Note that the latter may not work if your application deals with hardware.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,723 Views)

Thanks smercurio_fc. So there is no easy way around here I guess. I do need to deal with IOs in the code.

Just curious, how I can find someone that willing to convert it to Linux version? And at what cost generally speaking? Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,707 Views)

As for finding someone, NI maintains a list of alliance members that you can contact if you wish. I suppose you could also post a request in the Job Openings board. Haven't a clue as to what someone would charge you for it.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,702 Views)