LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the C:\NIFPGA folder be moved to another drive

I have limited space on my C:\ drive at work, so can the C:\NIFPGA directory be moved to another drive? If so, how do I do it without breaking anything?

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." -- Galileo Galilei

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,234 Views)

Hi settlesj,

I found a discussion forum that seems to address your question, have a look:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Moving-NIFPGA-directory/m-p/1008630

Have a great day!

Andrew T.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,211 Views)

Andrew,

Thanks for the link, but I'm using LabVIEW 2011 with FPGA version 11.0. The folder structure from the versions mentioned in the link and the FPGA version I am using don't have the same folders. I did find the registry entry for the "Working Directory" and I changed that to the location of the NIPFGA folder on the new drive, but now I get this error when I try to start the FPGA compile worker.

"Could not find a part of the path 'C:\NIFPGA\programs\Xilinx10_1\ui.dat'"

Any other suggestions? The new path is D:\NIFPGA (I just copied the C:\NIFPGA folder to my D:\ drive for now)

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." -- Galileo Galilei

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,198 Views)

I just figured out something that works.

I found and tried this first - the registry key idea.  No Luck.

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14177/en#353606_by_Category

It might work but the information isn't precise enough to be sure you have the syntax right and I didn't feel like trying all the permutations.

Here's what I ended up doing - NTFS symbolic link.  This isn't a junction, reparse point, or shortcut - it's truly a symbolic link.  And it's only supported on Vista and later versions.

1.  Move the NIFPGA directory wherever you want it.

2.  Open a command window with Administrator privileges

a.  If you don't know how to do this, search for cmd.exe in the start menu search, then right click the cmd.exe result and choose 'Run as administrator'

3.  cd c:\

4.  mklink /D NIFPGA <path to real NIFPGA>

5.  Run an FGPA build to verify.

This appears to have worked perfectly.

Message 4 of 4
(5,139 Views)