cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't see block diagram of an auto-running VI

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have an old and dirty VI that runs automatically when opened. I cannot see the block diagram because when I stop it, LabVIEW shuts down. There is probably that 'evil' function Stop LabVIEW at the end.

Is there a way to avoid that behavior?

The VI was written a while back in LabVIEW 7.0.

Thanks for the help!

Vincent

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(4,279 Views)
Solution
Accepted by vgravel

Drag it into a the BD of another VI and double click it from there or...

Find one of the VIS it calls and break it first or

There may be other ways...

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 2 of 13
(4,278 Views)

It work!

I dragged it in anoother VI BD and opened it from there... I really can't think of a worst way to shut down a VI... It should be illegal!

Thanks!

Vincent

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(4,273 Views)

Well, some people think that the GOTO statement was evil and should be illegal. Some think that C pointers are evil and should be illegal. Some think that local variables are evil and should be illegal. Some think that sequences are evil and should be illegal. ....

Me? I think that "reality shows" are evil and should be illegal. Who's with me? Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 13
(4,264 Views)

I'm with you 110%

I barely have enough time for my own life let alone watching some elses ahem life. I think Plato's Socrates would have thought similarly and advocated outlawing artist in general. I think it was book X of THe Republic or there abouts.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(4,249 Views)

One other possible trick to stop the vi without it exiting might be, on Windows machines, to do a "Ctrl ." (holding the CTRL control key while pressing the "period" key)

Not sure there was a "Book X", don't think the Greeks used Roman numerals! 😉

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,230 Views)

Nice, didn't know the "Ctl" trick... I will remember this one for sure!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(4,225 Views)

Brace yourself... Its all Greek to me.

From here

Socrates (Plato) focuses on Poets (They wrote the scripts) saying;

"

But worst of all, poetry weakens the mind by leading us to sympathise too deeply with the afflictions of others, and thus rendering us unfit to bear up under our own troubles.

"

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(4,219 Views)

@vgravel wrote:

Nice, didn't know the "Ctl" trick... I will remember this one for sure!

Thanks!

It's all in the Quick Reference Guide. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,210 Views)

@LV_Pro wrote:

One other possible trick to stop the vi without it exiting might be, on Windows machines, to do a "Ctrl ." (holding the CTRL control key while pressing the "period" key)

Not sure there was a "Book X", don't think the Greeks used Roman numerals! 😉

I have actually seen cases where this doesn't work. Most of the time it happens when in a producer/consumer architecture where the exit logic is not correct and the loop with the event structure exits and the consumer is waiting for something to happen. I was aware of the "Ctrl ." abort but have been forced to kill LabVIEW because the abort wasn't processed.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(4,196 Views)