cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't see CAN channels in NI MAX Data Neighbourhood can channels

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello!

I'm using Labview 2015 (Windows 7) with NI 9862 CAN module mounted on cDAQ-9184 (as a single device on slot1).

NI 9862 is registered in NI MAX under Network devices.

Integrated NI MAX bus monitor is able to receive CAN messages.

I'm unable (or lack the knowledge) to define CAN channels for Data Neighborhood.

When I try to create new channel only NI-DAQmx options are available. (see image below)

Create new channel.jpg

How can I create CAN channel r where can I find relevant CAN database for NI9862?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,972 Views)

A CAN channel is already defined by the card, you do not need to create one. 

As your NI CAN card is a general CAN device, there are no database made for it. 

A CAN database is application specific, and as long as you have not made any application, then a database for the NI card will not exist. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,943 Views)

Thanks for answer.

You are probably right.

The problem is that defining NI-XNET session (following NI example 1 in Getting Started with the NI-XNET API for LabVIEW)

http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/12375/en/

I need to define both Database and Cluster .

I tried to create a new database (several times) but I continue to receive error message

Error -1074384767 occurred at XNET Read (Signal Single-point).vi:5730001

NI-XNET:  (Hex 0xBFF63081) The database specified could not be opened. Solution: Check that the alias and/or the file exist and that it is a valid database.Sesion setup1.jpgSesion setup2.jpg

My ultimate goal: to read 8 bytes from external CAN data source.

Again NI MAX CAN bus monitor shows this data (is able to receive and display it) but I'm struggling to achieve it programmatically. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,940 Views)

If it can help, I've also tried the built-in Labview example 'CAN Loopback".

Yeas I understand that my CAN module is uncapable to perform a loopback since it has only 1 CAN port, but the error that appears after a 'XNET Create session' block is as follows:

Can loopback.jpg

Again Database and Channel are required...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,938 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gurator

Take a look at the CAN Frame Input Stream Example. That it using a XNET :memory: cluster, witch is what you need when you do not have a CAN database for the unit/device that your are receiving data from. 

Message 5 of 5
(3,930 Views)