From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't open VI's with NI Example Finder, tried restarting NI Service Locator.

Hi, my NI Example Finder isn't working properly.

Err Msg: "The NI ServiceLocator is not running. You will not be able to browse by Directory Structure."
When: Accessing [Open / Examples] from the startup screen of LabView 7.1.

Err Msg: "An error occured - The NI Service Locator is not running."
When: Trying to open any VI file using NI Example Finder.

Attempted: Restarting NI Service Locator by going to Start » Control Panel » Administrative Tools » Services.
Restarted LabView 7.1.
Restarted WindowsXP.

I suspect it might be either Windows or McAfee Security blocking something. Your help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Paul
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,080 Views)
The windows firewall is probably blocking it. Go to network connections>>Properties>>Advanced>>Exceptions and allow the ni example finder service.

Prakash K
Message 2 of 10
(4,070 Views)
Thanks Prakash K!
It took a bit of time to find the exe file. I was looking in "LabVIEW 7.1" folder instead of "Shared". After I added it into the list it worked just fine!
-Paul C.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,040 Views)
I have the same problem, i try it firewall, running the service again, and nothing works

Thank's
Angel

Mensaje editado por necis

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,992 Views)
Hi Angel,

When do you see the error "NI service Locator is not running". Is it when you try to open an example using the example finder or while opening labVIEW or some other situation?

A simple thing to try is to restart the service. You can do this by opening up the Windows Services window by going to Start » Control Panel » Administrative Tools » Services. In the list of services you should see: NI Service Locator. To restart this service, right-click on the entry and select Stop. Wait a minute until the service has stopped and then right-click and select Start. Restart LabVIEW and see if you still get this error.

Ankita
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,975 Views)
Thank's Ankita, but I try restarting the Service locator and the same message appears,
I can share files in my workgroup but my internet is dead, I don't know why, mcafee is disable and xp firewall too
I think is a virus!

Angel
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,964 Views)
It could be a virus....try to scan your system with an anti-virus software and see if it catches something. NI service locator is used during the start up of some NI applications but has nothing to do with non-NI software/hardware. If you are noticing weird behavior with other programs as well, it might indeed be a virus.

Please let us know if you figure it out.

Ankita
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,949 Views)
Does NI Example Finder actually use NI service locator? I removed all NI related processes (NI service locator, NI PAL, DeviceDRVstatus, etc) and relaunched labview, Used the example finder and everything was fine (browser the examples, start the example, etc).

I suggest to do a labview installation repair.

-Joe
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,930 Views)
Hi Joe,
I initially posted the problem, and with help from Prakash I was able to resolve it.
But, to answer your question, I think version 7.0 didn't have this problem with the NI Example Finder. It was after installing 7.1 on WinXP that the problem came up. I actually did try the repair option for 7.1 at an earlier point in time but it didn't work.

For those who might be having the same problem, the following is a list of steps that I took in resolving this issue. (Don't know if this will help Angel with the mention of a possible virus issue.)
-------------------------------------------
goto Control Panel > Network Connections > {your local area connection}
click [Properties]
[Advanced(tab)] > [Settings]
[Exceptions(tab)]

If you don't see "NI Example Finder" on the list with a check box then...

[Add Program]
[Browse] > C:/Program Files/National Instruments/Shared/Example Finder/1.0/BIN/NIExampleFinder.exe
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,912 Views)
did you try 7.1.1 upgrade? I experimented mine with 7.1.1 and there was no problem.

-Joe
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,896 Views)