cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't launch DAQ assistant in LabVIEW

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi

I cannot launch DAQ assistant from LabVIEW, but i can do that from MAX. DAQ from MAX is not that flexible because i can't customized the code or convert it.  I 've tried all the various ways to open DAQ assistant and i finally realized something, on the block diagram, i open Tools/Advance/Edit palette/Express/Input/DAQ is missing (question mark) and many more functions are missing.

I'm using  the evaluation software of Labview 8.6 and NIDAQmx 8.7.1

Can you please tell me what is wrong. I really need to launch NI DAQmx from LabVIEW.

Rgds

Paul

Message 1 of 14
(7,117 Views)

Hey,

Do you have the DAQmx palette present under Functions Palette>Measurement I/O ?

If not you might need to reinstall DAQmx with LV Support.

Christian

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(7,115 Views)

Hi Christ

Thanks for the feedback.

From Block diagram interface: Function palette/Measurement I/O ? (there is nothing just MAX config).

But from Front Panel: Modern/ I/O controls, i can see DAQmx names controls which i don't think i need now.

What do  mean reintalling DAQmx with LV support, is it different from the LabVIEW evaluation software or i just have to reinstall the LV evaluation software.

Rgds

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(7,086 Views)

Hey Paul,

While LabVIEW is the coding environment, DAQmx is the necessary driver. You may have the driver installed (which is why you can see it and do things with it in MAX) but if you did not install the driver AFTER your installation of LabVIEW, then you will not be able to use the driver in that version of LabVIEW.

The quickest remedy is to just re-install DAQmx and make sure that you have selected support for your current version of LabVIEW form the dropdown selector.

Chris Van Horn
Applications Engineer
Message 4 of 14
(7,083 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author pauldesign@live.co.za

Hi Christ,

Thanks for the quick service, i did as you said but it didn't fix it. Basically there were alot  of the NI LV supports (8.5 and downwards) all mark with an X, i selected (highlighted) Labview support from Signal Express, since it was just NI LV support as  you said in the mail (there was a side message that it will not be install) then i click next and finish,.Reboot, lauch labview, switch to Block diag/check on Experss VI on function palette/Inputs but still missing). I als did reinstall Labview.

I don't know if you have a plan B, because i'm stuck or if you can send me a dialogue box or screen shot of  what i have do; that will be great.

Thanks

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(7,057 Views)

You should not have marked your reply as the solution is solved.

What you did to install DAQmx does not make any sense. What does Signal Express have to do with installing LabVIEW support? If you truly have LabVIEW 8.6 installed, you would have seen that as an option. You have to have 8.1 installed before you try to install DAQmx and you have to install a version of DAQmx that supports 8.6. What version of DAQmx are you trying to install?

Message 6 of 14
(7,040 Views)
I'm using NI DAQmx 8.7.1 demo version.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(7,021 Views)
Try the latest version which is 8.9. Make sure that LabVIEW is already installed and when you start the 8.9 installation, make sure that you see LabVIEW 8.6 listed as a version to install DAQmx to.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(6,997 Views)

Hi

Thanks for the support so far.

With regards to NIDAQmx Version 8.9, i did installed a copy on  Windows XP SP2 and Windows 2000 pro; i receive  the message that 8.9 is not a valid wins 32 application  besides the listed supported OS specifications. So for me 8.9 is not an option except i'm installing improperly which i doubt. I'll appreciate your advice.

I also had this problem during labview 8.6 reinstallation, almost towards the end (file 44 of 44), i receive a message that the device drivers can't be install, i must install from the installation CD or locate the file from a directory, which i can't figure out why. 

And also if i open a labview (not so sure of the version) VI example file downloaded from the internet, it runs forever  which if i stop it, i'm asked  to open the file from a directory and  if select the file and open it, it says error is recursive or at times some of the components are missing or has uestion marks on the block diagram. I guest all the above is till link to the DAQ assistant.

N.B. I'm trying to do all the above with no device connected. 

Anyway thanks. 

Rgds

Paul.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(6,981 Views)
I would try downloading the DAQmx drivers again.  Perhaps the installation file was corrupted during the download.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(6,958 Views)