LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't find VISA resource name

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to run an example code, provided by the manufacturer with a Keithley 2420 3A SourceMeter.  It is powered on, and set up for 488.1 GPIB Protocol.  It is hooked up to my computer using a KUSB-488A GPIB cable.  On the front panel of the example program, there is a drop-down menu labeled "VISA resource name."  The two options available to me are LPT1 and COM1, but I don't think either of these are the right resource name.  Does anybody know what VISA resource name I should be using with the Keithley, or how I can find this out? If it helps, I provided the example program I am using. Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,069 Views)

Start by opening NI-MAX and see what ports are recognized under 'devices and interfaces'.

Message 2 of 5
(5,062 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author CrashMcLars1

Typically, only NI hardware is going to be recognized in MAX and you would not get any VISA resources for non-NI controllers. If there is a VISA driver for the Keithley, you can try installing that as a secondary VISA driver and enable Tulip support in MAX. Keithley support is the best place to ask about installing their hardware for LabVIEW. 

Message 3 of 5
(5,053 Views)

If you read the intructions that come with the Keithley USB-GPIB converter they enclude installation instructions to install the National Instruments compatable version of their driver.

Yup, just read and follow the set-up instructions.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,047 Views)

I figured it out, I realized I need a driver for both the instrument AND the connecting cable. Who woulda thought?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,971 Views)